September Writing Challenge:
Opportunity
I’ve been to more high school dances as a parent than I ever went to as a teenager. Last weekend Scotty and I had the “opportunity” to chaperone our school’s homecoming dance (an “opportunity” I’ve had a few times in my old age). Here are some of my thoughts and observations after partaking of this wonderful experience:
They sing and shout weird things I don’t understand.
Most of the kids walked into the dance, down the stairs, and straight out into the courtyard (outside of the dance). Then they would come running inside when they'd hear one of "their songs."
School dances (at least where we live) are more like clubbing than dances of yesteryear. All of the songs run together, and there are no slow songs.
We watched a group of girls sit at a picnic table and take selfies all night. They did nothing at the dance except try to take pictures that made it look like they did something.
I am an old lady of fragile hearing.
Ibuprofen is a must for chaperoning school dances.
This dance was so dark! You couldn't see a thing! I think they needed to turn more lights on. Reasons:
1. So the clothes can be somewhat seen (what a waste of a cute homecoming dress!)2. Kids kept tripping on the stairs3. Photos4. So the kids can find their friends5. Safety all around
There is no point in decorating. The decorations were destroyed within 15 minutes (partially because it was so dark that the kids kept falling down the stairs and taking the decorations with them).
Two hours is plenty! Now everybody go home!
- The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion Vol. 2
—————
It would probably be suitable to post a picture of Daisy in her dress or with her date, but I didn’t take any photos! Mom fail! I’m relying on another mom to hook me up.
As recompense, here is a photo of Scotty and me at prom in 2000 (I was a sophomore, and he was already graduated - the scandal!)
----------
Other posts I’ve written about school dances:
No comments:
Post a Comment