Sunday, September 6, 2026

Sunday Sentiments - Messages of Love

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #9:

On That Topic

For the past year or so, I’ve been hoping that Daisy will want to get her patriarchal blessing. It’s up to her, and when she feels the time is right, I’m ready to support her. Since I have children who are in the phase of life where they might want to receive their patriarchal blessings, it’s a topic that I have studied a lot lately. Patriarchal blessings are a passionate subject for me because my great-grandpa and my grandpa were both patriarchs


In aiming to teach my kids about patriarchal blessings, I made a Q&A sheet a while ago where I compiled some of what I thought was the most useful information about patriarchal blessings. I realize that it’s something AI could have done, but I still like to use my brain and reap the benefits of personal study. Also, I know that it’s correct because I know exactly where everything came from (I’m going to add that information at the end of this post). 

So for the past year or so, I’ve thoroughly studied the topic of patriarchal blessings, but I haven’t studied my patriarchal blessing. It’s been a while since I read mine (maybe even a few years), and I think that’s okay. Sometimes you need to let it “get cold.”


Last week, a line from my blessing came to mind, and I knew it was time to review it, particularly that part. Yesterday I read through my blessing, and it was the perfect time. Most of my blessing I pretty much know by heart, but every now and then I come across a part I’ve forgotten or a part that has new meaning now that I’ve had more life experience. My blessing is pretty cool, and the person the words talk about is pretty cool, which means I have the potential to be pretty cool, but I’m not quite there yet.


As I read my blessing, I was reminded of a talk from a BYU devotional titled, “A Patriarchal Blessing: A Message of Identity, Promise, and Love” by Robert S. Patterson. When I first read that talk, I decided to go through my patriarchal blessing and look for:


1. Messages of love

2. Messages of promise

3. Messages of identity


I wrote it all down… somewhere… and I know I found some really good gems. I’d like to do it again, though. Forty-two year old Britt could use a refresher. 


Here’s something I’ve never really latched on to regarding patriarchal blessings, that I’m just now starting to pick up on. If you were to ask me what the purpose of a patriarchal blessing is, I would probably say to receive revelation pertaining to your life and your purpose and to learn your lineage in the House of Israel. 



My emphasis would mostly be on the blessing’s role in offering you personalized guidance and caution and helping you understand who you are. Those things are all true, however, what I’ve never focused on is the role of a patriarchal blessing in showing us that God loves us. I’ve acknowledged that patriarchal blessings show us that God
knows us, but I haven’t really focused on the love part. 

Brother Patterson stated, “Patriarchal blessings are communications given to us as personal revelations from God. These few words, recorded on perhaps a page or more, are remarkable. Their prophetic utterances have great power. They speak to our uncertainties, our abilities, our gifts, our life’s experiences—all in the interest of assuring us of God’s love and of His willingness to help us face the challenges and trials of our lives and to sustain us safely through what we must face.


these blessings are a testament of God’s love for each of His children. They reveal the uniqueness of each of us, and they highlight the fact that God sees in us what we do not see in one another or in ourselves.”


Additionally, Gospel Topics states that, “A patriarchal blessing is an expression of Heavenly Father’s love for each of His children. It is evidence that He knows us personally.”


This gives me a new lens through which to look at my blessing, so when I read it next, I will look for those three messages mentioned by Brother Patterson, but I will pay particular attention to messages of love. 


——


More information about patriarchal blessings:


What is a patriarchal blessing?

  • A patriarchal blessing is an individualized priesthood blessing received from an ordained and authorized patriarch by the laying on of hands.


What are the purposes of a patriarchal blessing?

  • To declare your lineage in the House of Israel

    • Israel is the special name that the Lord gave to Jacob. Jacob is the son of Isaac and grandson of Abraham. The name Israel can refer specifically to Jacob, to his descendants, or to the kingdom of those descendants. The twelve tribes of Israel are descended from Jacob’s sons and grandsons.

  • A patriarchal blessing is an expression of Heavenly Father’s love for each of His children. It is evidence that He knows us personally.

  • A patriarchal blessing may contain cautions, counsel, and promises unique to you. This inspired blessing can be considered personal scripture for the recipient and can help you understand your potential and possibilities. It can also provide peace and hope in times of difficulty and uncertainty.


What is the declaration of lineage?

  • Your blessings will state which tribe of Israel you will inherit the promises to Abraham through 

  • This may be a literal line of lineage or a line of spiritual adoption 

    • Abraham made covenants with God when he received the gospel, when he was ordained a high priest, and when he entered into celestial marriage. In these covenants, God promised great blessings to Abraham and his family. These blessings, which extend to all of Abraham’s seed, are called the Abrahamic covenant.

    • Promises God made to Abraham (the “Abrahamic Covenant”):

      • His posterity would be numerous.

      • His seed, or descendants, would receive the gospel and bear the priesthood.

      • Through the ministry of his seed, “all the families of the earth [would] be blessed, even with the blessings of the Gospel, which are the blessings of salvation, even of life eternal.”

  • “In the great majority of cases, Latter-day Saints are of the tribe of Ephraim, the tribe to which has been committed the leadership of the Latter-day work. Whether this lineage is of blood or adoption does not matter” (Boyd K. Packer).

  • “Since there are many bloodlines running in each of us, two members of one family might be declared as being of different tribes in Israel” (Boyd K. Packer).


When am I ready to receive a patriarchal blessing?

  • Prayerfully seek to know when you are ready 

  • There is no minimum or maximum age to receive a patriarchal blessing

  • When you are spiritually prepared and mature enough to understand its significance, you may be ready to receive your blessing


What is the process of receiving a patriarchal blessing?

  • You will need to meet with your bishop or an assigned counselor in the bishopric

  • They will help you decide if you’re ready and worthy to receive the blessing 

  • They will prepare a Patriarchal Blessing Recommend 

  • Make the appointment with the stake patriarch

  • Wear Sunday dress to your blessing appointment 

  • You may fast prior to receiving your blessing, but this is not required 

  • Patriarchal blessings are personal. You may invite a few close loved ones (parents are a common choice) to attend your blessing

  • The patriarch may counsel with you before he gives you your blessing

  • The blessing is recorded and transcribed (typed)

  • You will be given a copy of your blessing and it will be be preserved in the Church records 


What do I do with my blessing once I’ve had it?

  • Read your blessing regularly. Treasure the words, ponder them, and try to live worthy of the promises within

  • Patriarchal blessings are sacred

  • The blessing should not be shared publicly or compared to others’

  • You may share your blessing with close family members if you desire to do so

  • “A patriarchal blessing is not going to map out your life or answer all your questions. If it doesn’t mention an important life event, do not take that to mean you won’t have that opportunity. Likewise, there is no guarantee everything in your blessing will come to pass in this life. A patriarchal blessing is eternal, and if you live worthy, promises that are not fulfilled in this life will be granted in the next” (Elder Kazuhiko Yamashita).

  • President Dallin H. Oaks declared that a patriarchal blessing “is given under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and should be read and interpreted under the influence of that same Spirit. The meaning and significance of a patriarchal blessing will be taught line upon line in the course of time by the power of the same Spirit that inspired [it].”

  • “Your patriarchal blessing is yours and yours alone. It may be brief or lengthy, simple or profound. Length and language do not a patriarchal blessing make. It is the Spirit that conveys the true meaning. Your blessing is not to be folded neatly and tucked away. It is not to be framed or published. Rather, it is to be read. It is to be loved. It is to be followed. Your patriarchal blessing will see you through the darkest night. It will guide you through life’s dangers” (Thomas S. Monson). 


Sources:


General Handbook 18.17 18. Performing Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings


Topics & Questions: Patriarchal Blessings


Gospel Study Guide: Patriarchal Blessings


The Stake Patriarch by Boyd K. Packer


When to Receive Your Patriarchal Blessing by Elder Kazuhiko Yamashita


Your Patriarchal Blessing: A Liahona of Light by Thomas S. Monson


No comments: