Friday, September 13, 2019

The Uncommitted Hour

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #1:

Morning

Ah, morning!

I love mornings, especially this time of year. I enjoy the cool, crisp air, and I like that it's a little darker. I won't like it as much in the next few months when it stays dark a little too long, but right now it's perfect. When the mornings are darkish, it makes me feel like anything I do before sunrise is extra credit. I like that feeling! It gives me the illusion that I'm ahead of the game.

With school starting back up, we've had to figure out our mornings. Nicky started junior high, and thus, ushered in a new phase of life for us. Now that we've gotten into our groove, I've found something I really enjoy about our new morning schedule. I call it the "uncommitted hour."


Nicky leaves for school at 6:45 and then I really don't have to start getting my girls ready until 7:30. Of course, they are usually awake long before then, so I've been letting them watch PBS until 7:30. This gives me 45 minutes of time between Nicky leaving and the girls needing attention. Hence... the "uncommitted hour" (which is technically not an hour, but the "uncommitted 45 minutes" just doesn't sound as cool).

I've been using this time for ME, and it's been wonderful. I might sit down to plan my day (more to come on that subject as I tackle prompt #8: routine), read my scriptures, get dressed, eat breakfast, or even stare at a wall. Sometimes I exercise. Sometimes I nap. Yes! Nap! I have laid down on the couch and napped from 7:00-7:30. I've gone for walks, loaded the dishwasher, showered, and even made grocery store runs. I also frequently end up at Chick-Fil-A for free breakfast!

The beauty about the uncommitted hour is that it is truly uncommitted. I don't approach it with expectations or to do lists. I leave that time open to tackle the "whatever," and if I happen to do something productive, it increases that "ahead of the game" feeling as I go into my day.

I'm almost hesitant to hit publish because I don't want to jinx my beautiful mornings. A month from now I could be in a completely different pattern. For now, I will live it up during the uncommitted hour!

(And if you've been wondering how I have time to post everyday for the September Writing Challenge - this is how! It's the uncommitted hour! I've stayed about five days ahead, so you're reading something I wrote days ago. Ah, I love being ahead of the game!)

1 comment:

JJ said...

That’s nice that you’ve found a pocket of time for yourself.