Wednesday, September 4, 2019

The Piece of Furniture You Didn't Know You Were Missing

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #25:

Furniture

Shortly before Daisy was born, I asked Scotty if he would find me some sort of comfy rocking chair to put in our bedroom. When Nicky was born, I wanted everything to be cute and trendy, but we couldn't afford a cute and trendy rocking chair, so we didn't get one. With Daisy, I didn't care about cute and trendy. I wanted something comfy and cheap.

Scotty found a La-Z-Boy in the classifieds for $20 and brought it home. It was old and ugly, and there wasn't space for it in our room. It was the perfect addition to our home, though, because it served a great purpose: providing a place to rock and feed my baby in the middle of the night. We could only fit it in our room if we put it parallel to the wall with the back facing the bedroom door. Very bad feng shui! I named the chair Old Stinky. It didn't stink, luckily, but it looked like it should. 

The chair moved between our living room and bedroom for the next nine years depending on what phases our babies were in.

In July when we inherited a "new" couch, I decided it was time to get rid of Old Stinky. Our bulk pick up day for garbage was that week, so I took the back off the chair and started moving the bottom piece to the curb. I made it down the stairs and into the driveway, and then I decided I'd just leave it for Scotty to take care of after work.

Later that night, I went outside to watch Eva ride her bike (our nightly routine). I usually grab a camp chair out of the garage to sit on, but I saw Old Stinky sitting in the driveway and decided to put it back together and sit in it.

It was glorious! A driveway recliner!

I still had one more day until garbage day, so I ended up moving the chair into the garage so I could sit on it again the next day. By the time garbage day rolled around, I couldn't bring myself to part with Old Stinky as I'd discovered a new purpose for its existence!


I didn't know I needed a driveway recliner in my life, but now that I have one, there's no going back. I keep it in the garage. Sometimes I open the garage door and sit in it, and other times, I pull it out into the driveway (this is better placement on hot days since there's more airflow).

In fact, if you're looking for me...





2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

This is one design trend I could totally get behind!

Miss L said...

I love this so much!!!