Tuesday, September 17, 2019

The Boss of Me

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #8:

Routine

Lately, I've been working on implementing a new routine. As part of the uncommitted hour, I try to make a plan for my day. I know this is a responsible and highly recommended practice, but I've always been a little aversed to it. I struggle with feeling guilty over how I use my time, though, so I decided I need to be a better steward, especially since I have the luxury of a few hours to myself most days with Eva in preschool. I want to use that time effectively and wisely.

This isn't my first attempt at planning my days, but this time, I feel like it's more successful because my kids are older. All of my other attempts were thwarted by teething babies and tantruming toddlers. Trying to make and keep a schedule during those phases of life was just discouraging, which is probably how I developed my aversion to schedules in the first place.

Now I have a lot more control.

For the past couple of weeks, I've taken the time each morning (or the night before) to write down everywhere I need to be and when. Then I write down:
  • Things I have to do (appointments, fulfilling commitments to others, errands, etc)
  • Things I should do (exercise, one-on-one time with Eva, cleaning, service, personal study, etc)
  • Things that would be nice to do (reading, blogging, napping, etc)
I look at where my time windows are, and I fill them in accordingly. I only schedule the time my kids are at school. I don't worry about the evenings - they take on their own scheduling.

As I plan, I take into consideration which tasks can be completed while Eva is home, and which ones would be best to tackle while she's at school. This has made it so much easier to fit everything in. Then, throughout the day, I don't get distracted by tasks that aren't priorities, and I don't procrastinate as much. 

When I outline my day, I identify where I can allow flexibility. For example, last week I wanted to get to the temple, so I scheduled a time for the temple. But I also had a friend who was going through something difficult, and I wanted to be available to her if she needed support. So as I scheduled the temple, I made the decision that if my friend needed me, I would give that time to her instead (I made it to the temple).

Me pretending to be organized

I realize I haven't stumbled onto anything new here. But I'm excited about it because I feel like I'm finally in a season of life where I can function in this way. Also, I found a planning method that works for me. I've participated in some organization and time management classes in the past, and I've never felt like I found a system that suited my needs or my personality.

The primary reason this is working for me is because I've done a good job sticking to my plans each day, and I haven't rebelled. Any minute now this new routine could go down the drain. All it takes is a sick child, a bout of depression, or a spontaneous idea to derail my success! But for now, I'm thriving on having a plan, and I'm trying really hard to let my daily schedules be the boss of me. I feel happy about what I've accomplished since I started this routine. I really hope I can keep it up!

2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

Tally sleeps through the night for the most part now so I need to get in the habit of reclaiming my morning hours... Right now, I'm wasting them with semi-sleeping. I'm impressed with your look of being organised. I need to do better.

Anonymous said...

Totally snooping at your planning sheets.