Thursday, September 5, 2019

The Other Brit and Her Many Gifts

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #19:

Gifts

Recently, the lesson in the Come Follow Me curriculum discussed spiritual gifts.

Now let me just be honest... I pretty much never do Come Follow Me lessons with my kids, so don't let this post make you think that I'm on top of that stuff. I am so slow jumping on that bandwagon. I'm pretty much just being dragged down the parade route by my shoelace.

The asphalt! Its burns!

But...

This one time, I tried a lesson, and we talked about spiritual gifts.

I had a really hard time explaining "spiritual gifts" to Daisy.

I told her that "spiritual" gifts are like talents we have that help accomplish Heavenly Father's work on earth. I gave the examples of being a good teacher or being able to know when someone needs help even when they aren't showing it or being able to understand the scriptures.

Daisy thought about this for a minute and then said, "Oh, I get it! Like Britney Spears."

I stuttered, "Um, uh, w-w-what do you mean by that?"

And she said, "Like how Britney Spears has a lot of spiritual gifts."


Now I don't want to assume that Britney Spears doesn't have any spiritual gifts available to her... but um... she's not really a prime example for the discussion at hand. I can assume that the lesson was lost on Daisy. As most of my lessons are.

Despite the disconnect in teaching my soon-to-be ten-year-old child about spiritual gifts, it's a topic I have always loved exploring (it's also a topic addressed in Seekers Wanted, the book I recently posted about). I hope I can help Daisy develop an understanding at some point in her life. I guess in the meantime, we'll work on lip syncing "Hit Me Baby One More Time."

No comments: