Friday, July 28, 2023

Yesterday: Formerly Known as Today

Yesterday and today have been the loooongest days. I’m in the thick of my summer depression (I thought maybe I’d avoid it this year, but nah. I’ll be fabulous again in about 6-8 weeks. Just leave me be). 

Nicky and Daisy are out of town until Saturday, and this momma is missing them like crazy (Don’t tell them!) Scotty had been working late, so it’s been just me and the Tornado Twins, and lemme tell ya… the disaster cleanup is going to be intense! 

Like I said, it’s been a loooong two days. Yesterday was so long I can’t even fathom that the events of yesterday weren’t at least three days ago. Today was the same.

Just me & them this week

And now it’s quite late (almost tomorrow, in fact, so by the time I hit publish, today will be yesterday and tomorrow will be today, and I’m pretty sure I just went cross-eyed).

Anyway, I’m craving alone time so bad that I’m warding off sleep even though I’m utterly exhausted. In my sleep avoidance, I have clipped my toenails, folded a load of laundry, watched two episodes of Sweet Magnolias, played two rounds of Wingspan, and read about 60 pages of a book.

Now I’m continuing to stay awake by blogging. And what shall I write? But a list of what I did today, so you can understand how long this day really has been!

Woke up at 6:00

Took the garbage cans out to the curb

Went to the store for milk

Fed the Tornado Twins cereal

Did a load of dishes

Baked two batches cookies with Zoe 

Did 4 loads of laundry

Snuck to McDonald’s by myself for a Coke and $1fries then took the long route home

Went through all of Zoe and Eva’s clothes and shoes. Had them try a bunch of stuff on to see if it still fits for school. Sorted and marked all their socks and underwear and made a list of what they need for back to school shopping.

Went through my clothes and bagged some to donate 

Listened to the entire cast recording of Les Mis. Did my best Mme Thenardier performance and marched a lot. “Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men?”

Took the girls to Menchies

Went to the car wash

Made Ramen

Took a nap

Went to the DI. Bought: a dress for Zoe, two stuffed animals (grumble, grumble), a pair of Hunter rain boots for Eva (score!!!), and a (second) guitar for Zoe because she needs two guitars to achieve all her lifelong dreams.

Did not buy large stuffed camel

Highlighted my hair

Took a shower

Regretted highlighting my hair

Watched an episode of Silo


Listened to the 15th Diary of a Wimpy Kid with Zoe and Eva

Strapped doll carriers to my girls’ scooters with zip ties

Read 110 pages of a book

You know how I feel about the cartoony ones

Went to Red Robin for dinner

Walked around the garden twice

Watered the planters in the front yard

Put Eva and Zoe to bed at least three different times and still ended up with Zoe asleep next to me in my bed.

And now this day is finally over. 

Must… sleep… 

1 comment:

Jo said...

How could you possibly do all that in one day? It made me tired to read it!