Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Currently {July 2023 Edition}

Reading:


I haven’t started either of these yet, but they just came in on my Libby app, so they are next in queue. 

Update: I started The Great Alone.

Wearing: a baggy t-shirt that says “An excellent spirit resides in me” (I bought it from the DI) and black shorts. 

Cooking: hopefully nothing today because we have tons of leftovers - hamburgers, hoagies, pasta salad, Philly cheese steak sandwiches, and a ton of fruit. 

Annoyed by: fan theories.

Struggling with: getting to the gym with Zoe’s theatre camp schedule.

Wanting: a self-cleaning house. 



Singing: “When I Get Where I’m Going” by Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton.

Dreading: the hot temps that are starting up now. 

Watching: 


Lost - I'm still mostly loyal (ya'll know Lost is my show), but my view of Lost is starting to be tainted by presentism, and it's seeming a bit dated. I'm also annoyed at some of the plot holes and gimmicks in the show. Lost was amazing in 2005, but to watch it in 2023 for the first time, one would not be very impressed. At the time Lost aired, the format was new and exciting. But now tons of shows have adopted the flashback/jumping timeline format, and we're all used to it (it's kind of like how the mockumentary format seemed so strange when The Office started, and none of us understood it in the beginning (why do they keep talking to the camera?), but now it's commonplace).

Like my sock lines?

Sad about: Vanilla Coke. While I was not drinking soda, Maverik and Cafe Rio stopped selling fountain Vanilla Coke. I drank soda for a week and looked forward to some Vanilla Coke, alas… it’s gone. It’s not the same in a can or a bottle. And adding vanilla syrup to Coke isn’t the same either. 

So what do I do now? I go back off soda. But not until July 5th because imma live it up to celebrate my independence. 

Embarrassed by: accidentally driving 30 miles in the wrong direction while trying to get to my parents’ house for my step-brother’s memorial service. Out and back, that’s 60 miles. SIXTY MILES!!! Dare I even mention that I’d just been to their house five days prior?

(My dad and step-mom moved last summer out to the middle of nowhere - it’s two hours away).

Happy about: finding Daisy two pairs of shoes for school - one pair was $1 and the other was $3, and it is so rare to find shoes that actually fit her that I am jumping up and down with joy over this blessing!

Proud of: our garden.

Looking forward to: a little more color in the garden via sunflowers.

Wishing: that we didn't have such wide feet and high arches. Have you ever tried to put a shoe on a basketball? That's kind of what it's like to try and shoe Daisy and me. 

Missing: fountain Vanilla Coke.

Listening to: Les Mis. I tried to get tickets for Eccles Theatre (it just ended), and it was pretty much impossible unless I was willing to go by myself, sit in the worst seat possible, and pay the equivalent of my college tuition to do so. 

Eating: too much ice cream. 

Wondering: how I'm going to find affordable pants to fit Nicky for school. I have to order them online because stores don't typically stock 36" inseams. 

Enjoying: having a kid who can drive. It's the best! (But only because he's a decent driver, and I can trust him). 

Procrastinating: making orthodontist appointments for Zoe and Eva. 

Worried about: Zoe’s speech. It’s not improving, and she’s getting older. She’s still really hard to understand sometimes. I’m worried she is going to be made fun of, especially once she hits junior high which is most likely to be in one year (they are in the process of moving sixth grade to junior high in our area - some schools in our district have already made the change). 

Playing:


I’ve been in the mood for dice games lately.

Craving: fountain Vanilla Coke.

Buying: gas. So much gas. The last few weeks have required a lot of driving.

Needing: a new air mattress. Mine went kaput at girls camp

Grateful for: the beautiful, mild June we just had. If all of summer could be like that, I could handle summer. In fact, I would be unstoppable. I would be too powerful. The devil needs me to be sweaty and miserable because when I’m comfortable and have energy, I do too many great things. Cue July. 

No comments: