Wednesday, July 5, 2023

I Have an Assignment for You

Despite having 11 siblings, I only have one fully biological brother. He’s two years younger than me, and his name is Colt. 

As a child, Colt had a way of getting things he wanted. One of our most told family stories is from when we were camping, and Colt found a fisherman by the lake, went and stood near him and said, “Gee, I really wish I had a fish!” Then the guy totally gave Colt his fish! Colt came tromping back into camp so proud of himself! And he had dinner!

So our family always jokingly says, “Gee, I really wish I had a _________!” in our best Colt-mocking voices. It never works for the rest of us!

In that same manner, when I was in high school, Colt wandered up to a radio station van in a grocery store parking lot where they were broadcasting and asked them if they had anything they could give him. They ended up offering him several free tickets to see Rockapella in concert. They gave him enough tickets that a bunch of our family plus a few of our friends got to go. It ended up being one of the funnest concerts I’ve ever been to! 

I grew up watching Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (and playing the computer game). I also knew a lot of Rockapella songs from listening to the Imagination Station on AM radio. The Rockapella concert took me right back to my childhood (even though the group didn’t have all the same members I knew from Carmen Sandiego).

The other day, an old Rockapella video popped up in my social media feed, and I was like, “Yes! I need this in my life!” And once again, I went right back to my childhood. 

And here’s what I have to say to you now:

You are probably due for some Rockapella. So here you go. Listen. Live your best life. Sing the bass part. 

But also watch. Because those cheekbones. The vests. That epic mullet. And the rat tail braid.

And when you’re done with that? Maybe try some Animaniacs

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m feeling inspired to make a playlist.

No comments: