Sunday, July 9, 2023

Small and Simple Excitement

You might have noticed that I have a lot to say lately. I’ve been pumping out blog posts left and right, and I have several drafts underway. I don’t know where this comes from, but I’ll just keep going until I hit my next bout of writer’s block. 

Today I’m feeling inspired by Garbage Day.

I love Garbage Day. Enough so that I’ve made it a proper noun - capital G, capital D. 

Garbage Day.

(Weird things I do at 7:00 am: go out in the street and take photos of my garbage cans, then add fake lens flare so it appears that the sun is shining down on them like a blessed gift).

I always feel really good about life when I get all the trash out of my house. I often refer to it as “cleaning the arteries of my home.” Do you realize how lucky we are that we can put garbage out in front of our house and have it taken away? Can you imagine how quickly things would get out of control and unsanitary if we didn’t have this amazing privilege?

During COVID, Garbage Day was the most exciting day of the week. Even though it’s not quite as exciting as it was during those days of lockdown, I still always look forward to it. 

My overexcitement for Garbage Day got me thinking about other ordinary things I’m abnormally enthusiastic about:

Thing 1: Fresh black top and paint lines 

I get so excited whenever I see a newly coated street or parking lot with crisp, vibrant paint. It’s so pleasing! So visible! So amazing! 

Thing 2: When new “Readers Choice” books are released at the library 

Our county library system releases a list of books twice a year that patrons can read and vote on to determine a winner. There is a special shelf for Readers Choice books, and they get tons of fresh copies of the books (which gives me the same satisfaction as new asphalt and paint on the road). They issue a pamphlet that lists all the books with their synopses. I always get the pamphlets and look up every book on Goodreads and make a list of the ones I want to read. I have found several amazing books from this (as well as a ton of dumb ones, but one of the great things about Readers Choice is that they select a wide range of genres and interests to appeal to). 

The newest Readers Choice books came out last week! My list is ready!

Thing 3: Buy one get one free coupons

Need I say more?

Thing 4: Dogs with their heads hanging out of car windows

I don’t think there’s anyone happier on this earth than a dog with its head hanging out of a car window. I can’t help but experience complete joy whenever I see one! And I’m not even a dog person! 

Thing 5: New plates for my plate racks

I’m still really happy with the plate racks Scotty and I built for our kitchen a few years ago. I love finding and trying new plate arrangements. Changing the plates for the holidays and seasons brings me joy, and I find most of them at the thrift store or on clearance, so I don’t even feel guilty if I display them one time and donate them right back.

This is my current setup (I just took down my 4th of July plates). I found the chargers at Hobby Lobby for 75% off last year, and I just got the bee plates from Dollar Tree the other day. 

Thing 6: Becoming familiar with audiobook narrators 

After listening to audiobooks for the past several years, I recognize the names and voices of many narrators. There are ones I love and ones I don’t care for. And the sad thing about this is that there are very few people I can have conversations on this topic with. 

One time I geeked out because I found someone else on this earth who could list off several books narrated by Julia Whelan, and we both sat there flapping our hands going, 

“Oh yes! She did some of Kristin Hannah’s books!”

“And she did, like five of the books we’ve read for book club!”

“You’re right! I didn’t even realize that, but yes! She read The Giver of Stars and Educated!”

“And The Measure and the Invisible Life of Addie LaRue!”

“I don’t like how she does men’s voices, though.”

“I agree!”

“Do you want to talk about Imogen Church now!

“YES!!!”

Thing 7: Squirrels in my neighborhood

Dug is my spirit animal. When I see a squirrel, nothing else matters. Especially if it is leaping from fence to tree limb like a fuzzy, little acrobat!

Thing 8: Thrift store finds

I love a good thrift store purchase! Especially when it’s exactly what I’m looking for! But I also have a special place in my heart for the totally weird things I find second-hand, like this gem:


Thing 9: Hearing or seeing birds around my house that aren’t “the usuals”

The most common birds in my yard are sparrows, starlings, doves, and robins, and they’re all old and boring to me. Anytime I see or hear a bird that’s not one of those four, I get really excited! It’s especially thrilling to see a bird of prey (except for turkey vultures because they hang out down the street from us - ever circling). Every few years we’ll get a peregrine falcon or a hawk stalking our chickens. 

Thing 10: When my kids are interested in something I like

My kids mostly think everything I love and enjoy in this world is old and outdated, but every now and then, we will have a common interest, and it can be very delightful. You like a song from my junior high days? Yippee! You want to watch Lost with me? Maybe you really are my daughter! 

I have to play it cool, though, and I can’t let them see my excitement. 

Thing 11: Every blooming flower and every inch of growth in my garden

Confession: I love my garden. Like, really, really love my garden. Every little blossom and every little sprout makes me so happy. 

Baby bell peppers!

Thing 12: Beating Scotty at board games

I wish it happened more often. I don’t want to win every time (that would be boring and predictable, and I still want to be challenged), but I wouldn’t mind if the tables tipped a little more in my direction. 

—————

I hope you have something small and simple to get excited about today!

No comments: