Monday, September 21, 2020

Moods and Stuff

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #5:

Mood

I love words. 

I could read a dictionary cover to cover and really thrive. In fact, why haven't I read a dictionary before? (Adds to bucket list). 

I don't claim to have an extensive vocabulary or to be a genius or anything (although I truly believe that having a garage recliner is a result of some degree of above-average intelligence), but I'm very intrigued by words and their definitions. I look up words every day, and I often get really excited about what I find. Sometimes I gain a better understanding of words I already know. Sometimes I learn entirely new words, and I rejoice that such words exists! 

Take, for example, the new word I learned yesterday... presentism, which refers to evaluating past events and people by present-day values. 

I like that this word exists! I need this word! 

Some other words I like (based on their meaning):

Affectation - behavior, speech, or writing that is artificial and designed to impress. 

Sophistry - the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intent of deceiving.

Reciprocity - the practice of exchanging things with others for mutual benefit.

The other day I looked up the word "frill" for this post, and today I looked up "mood." I know what "mood" means, but I started to wonder if there was more I could understand about "mood." For example, is there a difference between mood and emotion?

Mood - a temporary state of mind or feeling. 

Emotion - a natural state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.

It seems that they are very interrelated, but there is a slight difference between the two, and since I'm only a genius when it comes to garage furniture, I had to google  "difference between mood and emotion." In an article from Psychology Today, I learned that there are three differences between mood and emotion:

1. Moods tend to last longer than emotions. A mood can go on for hours or days while an emotion can be for a brief moment. 

2. Emotions usually relate to something specific, like a person or and event, while moods can be more of a general feeling unrelated to anything specific. 

3. Moods are less intense than emotions, and you might not realize you are in a good or bad mood until you reflect back on your behavior and reactions. 

Now I can claim that I 50% understand the difference between moods and emotions, and therefore, I either A) have added to my vat of useless information or B) will be confused about what I'm feeling for the rest of my life. 

Boy! It was sure fun dedicating some of my brain space to the preceding information (googles preceding)

-------

Oh! Did you think I was going to write about the kind of mood I'm in today? So did I! I got a little distracted.

Pretty much sums up my days

1 comment:

Amy said...

Brilliant post! I love words too! When I was little, I kept a dictionary next to my bed and I'd play a game where I'd open to a random page, pick a random word, read the definition and then pick a word from the definition to look up. Very fun and soothing too, wholly recommend!