Monday, September 14, 2020

Dip Night: It's a Thing

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #25:

Eat

I had to take a couple days off from blogging over the weekend. Things got a little busy, and the only way I'm able to keep up on a month-long writing challenge is to stay several days ahead with scheduled posts. Time caught up with me on Friday when my last scheduled post was published. 

But all is well! I'm here, and I'll resume my writing challenge to the best of my ability now. 

Even though I just posted about board (or card) games on Friday, I'm going to talk more about games today. You forgive me. I know you do. 

There will also be food. So it's cool. 

As you may recall, we have regular game nights with our friends, Chad and Carlie. Our usual routine is to get together on Saturdays at 4:00 and have dinner. Then our 8 kids run wild while we play games. 

One of our beloved game night foods is this corn dip. Last time we were munching on corn dip, Carlie said, "We need to have a dip night!" So we proceeded to plan a game night wherein we feast on a vast array of dips. Over the weekend, we did it! 

Dip Night!

We had Toffee Apple Dip:


Soft pretzel bites with Tostitos Queso:


Brownie Batter Dip (first with pretzel crisps, but then we switched to graham crackers): 


Sesame Thai Chicken Dip:


Spinach Artichoke Dip (from Sam's Club - because when you're serving 7+ dips, you gotta buy some of them):


And two dips I didn't get pictures of: a store-bought six layer dip with tortilla chips and a cottage cheese dip with potato chips (a favorite in Chad's family). 

Let's just say... I'm already brainstorming my contributions for Dip Night Round II. Because seven dips weren't enough. We need to have ALL THE DIPS. 

For this week's Game Night, we tried out our new game, Mariposas. 



I posted a few weeks ago that I wanted to buy this game, and that same day, I got a text from my sister-in-law saying, "Hey, I ordered that game for you. Just don't ever make me play it." 

The game was released on August 28, and it arrived on my porch a couple of days later. Scotty, Nicky, and I gave it a couple of test runs over Labor Day weekend. Carlie also bought a copy, but she hadn't had time to learn it yet, so we taught it to her and Chad at Dip Night. 

In the game, your butterflies migrate from Michoacan up through the United States and Canada. They collect flowers and hatch new generations of butterflies along the way. It's a beautiful game, and very clever. It was designed by the same woman who made Wingspan (and you should know by now that I adore Wingspan!) 

Dip Night was a success - not only were the dips a hit, it was also a GIRLS RULE night. Because Carlie and I won every single game we played (Splendor, Mariposas x2, and Codenames x2). Thankyouverymuch.



No comments: