Monday, October 16, 2023

Living the Dream

I save a lot of writing prompts on Pinterest. They're more of the "questionnaire" variety (as opposed to creative writing). Really, they just give me an excuse to talk about myself. 

I'm kidding. But not entirely. Someone once told me that I write about myself too much on my blog. I wasn't really sure what to do with that info. 

Anyway, the other day I came across a writing prompt called "Dream Life Prompts." I had two conflicting opinions about it - one being that it was stupid because it encourages a person to not be happy with their life as it is, and the other being that it might be good to answer some of those questions because maybe there are dreams I should be aiming for.

I saved the prompt on my Pinterest board and went about my merry way.

Then today for dinner, I made some rolls, and as I was forming balls of dough, and lining them up on the sheet pan to bake, I started daydreaming about a life where I make some kind of baked good each week - doubling the recipe and keeping half for my family and giving half to another family. This is something I've always wanted to do as a regular practice. I read the book The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale in 2009 (3.15 stars on Goodreads - you can skip it), and the main character, Becky, would bake two pies each week - one for her family and one to give away - and I was like, "Yessss, Fictional Becky! This is what I want in life!" Except maybe not pies... once in a while, pies. Just not always pies. Baking and giving are part of my dream life. 


My dream life also includes growing and preserving food - having a garden, passing out zucchini and tomatoes to neighbors, and making lots and lots of jam. 

In my dream life, I would enjoy other people on a deeper level. I’d love to overcome some of my shortcomings with communication and social environments and just… enjoy. I would love to feel more comfortable at gatherings and be better at bringing people together and putting everyone at ease. 

I’d like a better degree of family harmony in all of my families - step, in-law, origin, and creation. I’d like to feel like I have value and a place. I’d like to get together and feel good about who I am and who they are. No drama. No manipulation. No jealousy. No rivalry. No pride. Just genuine love for one another and a desire to spend time together. I’d love for neighbors, family, and friends to come and go from one another’s houses and lovingly take care of each other with reciprocity. No one would feel taken advantage of.

My dream life includes a bit of travel and a lot of reading and writing. I’d like to make meaningful contributions to my family, my Church, and my community. I’d like to develop and use my talents while finding balance between what I can give and what others can give without feeling any need to compare. 

And while this description of my dream life is incomplete, my last request for this post would be to be debt free. In my dream life, I don’t need a big house or fancy things. I just want to live within my means - comfortably - without owing anyone anything. 

Some of these things are within my control, and some of them are not. Some of these things I already have - so in many ways, I’m already living my dream life. Mostly I just want a simple life rich with quality relationships, creativity, and good stewardship. 

That’s my dream!

No comments: