Saturday, October 7, 2023

Dentist and Healer

While I was busy making our costumes for Fan X, I chipped a tooth. All of my dental inconveniences happen after office hours on Fridays. Like the time my crown fell off (Milk Duds. Can’t stop, won’t stop), and I had to deal with my exposed tooth nub for the weekend. I couldn’t keep my tongue away from it. My chipped tooth was no different. It happened on a Friday afternoon, and it drove me nuts all weekend. 

I called the dentist’s office right when it opened on Monday morning. They had me come in at 9:00, and I was out of there, good as new, by 9:45. It was amazing! 

I am continually amazed by the dental and medical marvels we have available to us. Over that weekend, while my jagged tooth made me crazy, I kept thinking about how all would be well within a few days. Annoying as it was, it was great to know that it was fixable. I’m so grateful that we don’t have to let our teeth rot to bits and fall out of our faces.

Now I just need my subconscious to get on board with this fact because I always have dreams that my teeth crumble and fall out of my mouth. Where my fellow tooth dreamers at? We are a special sort. According to this article, recurrent teeth dreams occur in 16.2% of sleepers, and 8.2% report having teeth dreams regularly. Shout out to the 8.2% You are my people!

A friend of mine who used to have teeth dreams told me that she had to have a tooth fixed a few years ago, and she hasn’t had teeth dreams since. She believes the experience reset her subconscious because she knows teeth can be repaired (or replaced). 

Even though my little chip was hardly a thing, I’m kind of hoping for the same results. Perhaps, in addition to healing my mouth, my dentist can also heal my mind!

Deep.

No comments: