Monday, October 9, 2023

Dip Night


We have regular game nights with our friends Chad and Carlie. We’ve been doing this for about 16 years. We started when our oldest kids were babies. Now we each have four kids of the same age and opposite gender. Our youngest are now 8. Time flies when you’re breeding and playing board games.

Anyway, game night usually starts at 4:00 pm on Saturdays, and we have dinner. We take turns hosting. Occasionally we like to have Dip Night where dinner consists exclusively of dips. 

We had such an occasion over the weekend. Our dips were:

This was my first time trying this dip. It was good - a lot like a cheese ball with bacon in it. It also has slivered almonds, which I love because I appreciate a little crunch.

This was really more like a salad, but the recipe calls it a dip, so it’s valid. The flavors were great, but it was hard to get it to stay on a piece of bread. I ended up tearing up little bits of bread, mixing them in the “dip,” and eating it with a fork… like a salad! I’m not sure if I’d make this again… considering I could just have a sandwich.

Seven(ish) Layer Dip
Carlie made seven(ish) layer dip with Chad’s homemade guacamole. Chad is our designated guacamole maker.

Spinach Artichoke Dip
Carlie brought this one. I think she went the Costco route on this one. I didn’t ask.

Scotty stretched the rules a bit and made some Buffalo wings on the smoker (I didn’t get a photo). He said they count for “dip” because you can dip them in ranch or bleu cheese… which no one did. This was his first time smoking wings. 

For sweets we had:

Zoe helped me make this, and we sampled it right away, and it was delicious! I liked it more before it sat, and the Oreos got soft. It was still good later, though. We dipped strawberries and apples in it.


We’ve had this one at Dip Night before. Zoe asked if she could eat just this dip by licking it straight off her plate. I let her… because it was Dip Night, so why not?

Dip Night was a success, and since I know there are two of you who care (Cyndi and Krystle), here’s our game selection and winner list for the night: 

Ark Nova: Scotty
Splendor: Britt
Azul: Britt
Bohnanza: Britt & Chad tie
Ticket to Ride (Europe): Britt
Five Crowns: Carlie
Quixx: Carlie
Quixx: Britt

(Scotty, who normally dominates Game Night is not handling this well).

2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

What time does game night end with a lineup like that? 4 player Ark Nova takes us 3 hours alone.

Anonymous said...

We usually play til 10:00-11:00