Thursday, October 12, 2023

What Happened…

When I tried to can tomatoes this week…

After they got done processing, I was looking back over the recipe, and I realized I had put 1 tsp of lemon juice in each jar, and it was supposed to be 1 tbs. As not to kill my family with botulism or something, I needed to either open the jars and add more lemon juice and reprocess them or use the tomatoes in another way. 

I ended up making a triple batch of this tomato soup and freezing it in quarts. I now have a winter’s worth of tomato soup ready to go.

Our tomatoes were small but plentiful this year

When I tried to make a triple batch of tomato soup…

My measuring spoons were mostly dirty, so I ended up using a 3/4 tsp and doing bad math (remember I was tripling the recipe so I had to convert the measurements to 3/4 tsp and then times it by three), and I put way too much basil in (it didn’t help that I was simultaneously making enchiladas and cilantro lime rice while also canning strawberry jam).

Luckily I realized this before I stirred the basil in, and I was able to scoop some back out while it was still floating on the top.

I’ve since sampled the soup and am happy to report that, despite the difficulty in making it, it’s edible.

This picture is a lie because this isn’t the soup I made the other day. This is a photo of sausage tortellini soup and your daily reminder to not believe everything you see on the internet!

When I tried to make chocolate chip cookies with Zoe…

They went flat and spread out over the pan. I make these cookies all the time, so I was rather distraught! I looked over the recipe to see what I had done wrong, and I had added 1.5 cups of flour instead of 2.5 cups. 

I ended up making them into pizookies and freezing the leftover dough in balls to eat as snacks later, raw egg be damned!

From all of this I have concluded that I probably need to stay out of the kitchen for a while. 

Please send pizza! Thank you and goodnight. 

No comments: