Sunday, September 4, 2022

Change Your Straw Length, Change Your Life!

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #22: 

Alteration

When I added this word to my list of prompts, I had no idea where I would go with it. I occasionally alter clothing in a very non-professional way - as in, I chop my girls' leggings into shorts when they get holes in the knees. Also, I recently cut the sleeves off a rash guard I got from the thrift store for Zoe because she wanted it to have short sleeves instead of long sleeves. I'm a fan of scissors and the work they do, but I've also been known to make a some mistakes. Chopping my own hair, cutting up my clothes... there's always a bit of risk involved. 

Today, rather than talking about clothing, I decided to share a more unique alteration I do on the regular. 

I’m a stickler for proper straw length. I have scissors in my van and my purse specifically to snip straws when necessary. At my house, I have a selection of washable straws of every length. 

I found a pack of 50 reusable plastic straws (my preference to metal or silicone) at Ross for $2.99 a year or so ago, and over time, I’ve cut them to various lengths for all of our cup options. Tall smoothie? Soda can? IKEA cup? I have the perfect straw for that! I also keep some of these straws in my van so when we go places like California where they commonly offer paper straws (an abomination, if I do say so), I am ready! 

Whenever I don’t have the right straw, a simple alteration with kitchen shears solves all my problems. I am nothing if not a straw tailor!


No comments: