Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Out of Doors

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #23:

Outside

Last week we had a nasty heat wave that kept me cooped up for several days lest I meet an untimely demise by melting. Yesterday we finally got a little bit of rain and some cooler temperatures, so I snuck outside to take a look around. 

I decorated my porch for fall. 


I put some cornstalks out - two batches on the gargoyle thrones, and one on the porch. I didn't think it through, though, and the stalks on the porch keep triggering the motion sensor on the doorbell. I might have to move them. 

I'm planning on repainting my front door in the next couple of weeks (just waiting for a day that's not too hot and where I can stay home long enough to leave my front door open while it dries). It will look much the same. I like the blue and want to keep it that way. It just needs a refresh. 

I planted three different kinds of pumpkins this year, and after months of growing pumpkins, here's what I'm getting:


There are two of them, and they're about the size of softballs. 

I don't really know anything about flowers. This year, I planted some zinnias from seed on the border of my garden. I had no idea that they can get up to 5-6' tall! (So... not a border plant, as I learned. Apparently I didn't read the seed packet). They were fun to have in the garden, though, and they completely took over and thrived! 


At the beginning of the gardening season, I found this strange thing at the thrift store and decided to buy it and use at as a trellis in the garden (I have no idea what it is or why it was wrapped in green plastic). 


This was the first time I've used a trellis, and it was fun to watch the plants climb it. I intended for it to be for cucumbers (which worked really well), but some tomatoes made their way up, too. 


Over the weekend, we integrated the baby chickens with the big ones. I always hate doing this because the Big Girls beat the crap out of the Babies for a while, so we have to keep a close eye on them. The pecking order is legit. Scotty added some extra perches to the coop and put some boxes and play things in there as well to help keep them busy during the transition. 



Zoe has been busy with chalk art lately. 


Nicky has been finding creatures. We are always abounding with creatures. 


And no visit outside is complete without finding someone's shoes and/or socks. 

Dang it, Nicky! You know better!


No comments: