Sunday, May 23, 2021

Trials and Trees

We've had the opportunity to go to Muir Woods National Monument twice in the past few years - first with our friends, Mark and Michelle, and later with our kids. 

Muir Woods is an old growth forest (meaning it has existed for a very long time without a lot of disturbance and therefore, has unique ecological properties) hosting coastal redwoods (a type of sequoia). 

The trees are magnificent, and they have a lot of really interesting survival traits. One that is particularly intriguing to me is described on this sign:


FAMILY CIRCLES

Hundreds of years ago a single large redwood grew here. Then disaster struck. The trunk of the large redwood was killed, perhaps by repeated and severe wildfire. From here you can see the original tree trunk still standing upright, now a dead and blackened snag.

Despite such terrible damage, the tree did not die. Below the ground, its massive root system was full of vitality. Before long, hundreds of young, bright-green burl sprouts began to come up around the circle formed by the root crown of the original tree. Some of those sprouts have grown into the full-sized trees that today stand in a circle around the original trunk. 

Here’s a photo of the tree circle. It's kind of hard to see, but the arrow is pointing to the “dead” trunk in the center. It's weak and broken down - a jagged leftover stump of a thing - but the trees that have grown up around it are strong and vital. 


In this past week's Come Follow Me reading, the Lord taught "be patient in tribulation" (D&C 54:10). Patience has never been my strong point, especially when I feel damaged, and I'm waiting for relief from suffering. I understand, though, that "after much tribulation come the blessings" (D&C 58:4).   

Both times I’ve visited this tree circle in person, I’ve thought about times that life has been hard, and I’ve become a dead and blackened snag. Mortality is brutal, and some of the things we have to endure feel immensely cruel and unfair. Yet, in many trying circumstances, roots have spread, and after some time has passed, I’ve discovered bright-green burl sprouts popping up around me that show that, even while I am encompassed in misery and hardship, there are things happening underground that I’m unaware of. With some hindsight, I’m always grateful for the vital new growth - the blessings, the mercies, the miracles, the strength, and the experiences of learning.

Don't get me wrong - I'd be perfectly fine to not go through another trial for as long as I live, but I know that the things I have already endured have brought me wisdom and blessings - my own circle of trees - that I wouldn't want to forgo. 

No comments: