Thursday, May 13, 2021

It's Thursday (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: I don't know where all this recent blogging is coming from. I somehow broke through some major writer's block, and suddenly I've got a lot to say. I've posted every day for over a week!

Fact #2: I go to Chick-fil-A way too much. I use their app and get points to use toward free food. The other day I was looking at my free food possibilities, and I realized some of their point “costs” seem a little steep. I believe the basic earning rate is 10 points per dollar (I’m “red status,” so I get 12 points per dollar). For 1200 points, I can get a 12 piece chicken nugget. Mathematically, that’s valuing $1.20 per nugget for a “regular” Chick-fil-A member, and $1.00 for a red member. Is it just me, or is that some high point chicken?

Fact #3: For 800 points, you can get a Greek yogurt parfait. Please don’t tell me that people spend $80 at Chick-fil-A to redeem their points for a small cup of yogurt. Get the deluxe chicken sandwich instead! You don’t go to Chick-fil-A for yogurt!

Fact #4: And while we’re on the topic of Chick-fil-A, can we all just agree that they have the dumbest kids meal “toys”ever? What’s with all this educational and parental interaction stuff? I don’t take my kids to Chick-fil-A so I can end up having to read them a book or play a game with them. I take them to Chick-fil-A because I’m lazy, so what I really want is a stupid, plastic toy that can keep them busy for 20 minutes while I check out mentally and douse my feelings in Coke and Chick-fil-A sauce. Then, they can bring the dumb toy home and bury it in the backyard, and we can chop it up with the lawnmower five years down the road. 

That is the joy of the kid's meal.

Fact #5: Four years ago, Eva sliced her forehead open at Chick-fil-A and had to get stitches. Part of me thinks we deserve free food every anniversary (May 3). 

How did it happen? I honestly don’t know. She was in the play place all by herself and she suddenly started screaming. I went in there to get her, and her head was covered in blood. 

Fact #6: Do you remember being taught in elementary school that you’re supposed to say “one hundred six” and not “one hundred AND six?” To this day, I’m still paranoid about getting caught throwing in an “and” and getting scolded. And I’ve noticed my kids are the same way. In fact, Zoe came home from school one day last week after having a substitute teacher, and she was completely distraught because that substitute had lectured the class after a student had used “and” in her verbal answer. Zoe was like, “Mom, she was correct, and the teacher told her she was wrong because she said “and” and he yelled at her in front of the whole class and made her feel really embarrassed.”

(I hope he didn’t really “yell,” but you know, to a kid, everything is “yelling” unless they’re the one doing it).

Anyway, “one hundred six” or “one hundred and six”… why should anyone waste their energy on that? Who cares? Give us our “and!” 

Yet, I was schooled as if there is no greater offense. 

Fact #7: Yesterday I was able to kneel for the first time in almost three months. I’ve also been able to squat and sit on the ground for a picnic. I’m pretty much back “in order” other than some residual knee pain. Let’s say I’m 99% better. 

I’m so thankful. 

Fact #8: I really wish I knew what happened to me. 

Fact #9: I’ve been playing Dr. Mario a lot on the Switch. I’ve gotten to level 22 (of 25) on low speed. If anyone walks in the room or talks to me while I’m playing, I start panic-flipping the pills, and I screw up. My kids have been warned - DO NOT DISRUPT MOM’S DR. MARIO GAME. 

(They still disrupt. Always).

Fact #10: Even though Dr. Mario requires my ultimate concentration, I find that I get some excellent pondering done while I’m playing. I’ve decided that instead of announcing, “I’m going to go play Dr. Mario,” I’m going to say, “I’m going to go do some deep thinking,” because the things that go on in my head during Dr. Mario are big and important.

2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

I thought for sure I was the only one who lawn mowed over toys... Glad I'm not alone

Mama B said...

Love the daily blogging. You should always blog everyday.