Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Internet Things

It's been (almost) a week since my last post because I lost my laptop charger... again. 

Guess where it was? In the electronics basket. Where I keep charging cords and other electronics-related accessories. So basically, it was exactly where it was supposed to be. And I spent a week looking for it under couches and in kids' rooms.  

(I maintain that I am a very disorganized organized person).

Anyway, I don't have anything in particular to write about today, so allow me to share a few internet "things."

We're probably all familiar with the THINK acronym that's floated around for the past several years:


It continues to be excellent advise - not just for social media, but for all interactions whether online or in-person. 

A few days ago, Brooke Romney posted this:


It coincides with the THINK acronym a little bit, but it expounds on it, and it's a great reminder for me, personally because I have issues with speaking when it's not my place. In fact, the two messages I receive from the Holy Ghost most frequently are:

1. Study the scriptures
2. Don't say anything

Purpose, delivery, and timing are all very important considerations before speaking, and I am a frequent violator of all of the above. 

But also, one thing that was brought to my attention a few years ago is how often we engage in scripted conversations or commentary. I realized this during a talk by Michael McLean at Time Out for Women where he was sharing some of his experiences with losing his faith. He talked about how, during class discussions at church, he had developed routine comments for every topic. I think we are all guilty of this to some extent. If the topic is "keeping the Sabbath Day holy" there might be a 'go to' comment or story that we share. Or a "word of wisdom" story or a "charity" story. Michael McLean realized that he had his routine comments he made on various topics, and he decided to just shut up for a while (I'm not being crude, he actually said, "shut up," and I get it because I'm a person who sometimes needs to just shut up!) He really made me think, so now I try to be more mindful about what I contribute to conversations and discussions - particularly gospel-centered ones. Does my commentary contribute to the discussion or am I just trying to fit in my routine story because "this is what I say when we approach this topic?"

I don't know if a lick of that made sense, but just know that I am trying to be be more careful about what I say. I don't think I'd do the world a bit of harm if I shut up a little more. 

But I digress... moving on... these made me laugh:



Side note: I'm absolutely fascinated by the dead bodies on Mount Everest and how they are used as landmarks. If you've never read up on the bodies on Mount Everest, you should


I can't tell you how many times I've blasted my air conditioner or heater in my car and finger combed my hair to try and get my bangs to dry straight.


Yes. I feel this so much. Before COVID, I still used mostly cash (it helps me keep a budget), and I always felt like an inconvenience to the world at large. 
And this is basically my life's work. Faking athleticism. Though in recent years, I've given up in many aspects. I still don't want to get caught breathing heavily, though. 

And then there's these things I see all the time and never comment on but always answer in my head:


Blue Toad in a Hole.


A two-pack of training bras. 


Rocky road.



Where is the maple bar?


Disneyland. But I don't remember if my first flight was with my family or if it was when I went to perform at Disneyland with my dance studio.


Butterfinger because they changed their recipe, and they got it wrong!


B.

A thousand times, B.

I hate cleaning.


Lady Sam I Am Toad in a Hole of Target.


3-ish.

There are things on this list that I don't care for much, but there isn't a lot that I absolutely won't eat. 



Yes I did. I didn't have my own phoneline, but I had a phone in my room as well as a TV and stereo. 


These are all acceptable! As well as many other toppings not featured, like pineapple or runny egg! I've even had peanut butter on a burger.


I can't think of one. I don't really remember eating anything other than Hamburger Helper, and while I don't really use Hamburger Helper now, I never hated it. 


Gremlins, and yet... I watched it all the time and carried around a stuffed Gizmo. I was a conflicted child. 






No comments: