Tuesday, May 4, 2021

May the Fourth Be With You

The librarian at my kids' school is a big Star Wars fan (proof: she has a Star Wars room in her house. A room!) Because of her enthusiasm for Star Wars, all my kids came home from school yesterday talking about "Star Wars Day." 

"Tomorrow is Star Wars Day! And I don't even have a Star Wars shirt!"

"Mom, just a reminder… tomorrow  is Star Wars Day!"

"What should we do for Star Wars Day? Oh! I have an idea! Let's hang out and think about Star Wars!"

I got a chuckle over all their commentary and concern.

This morning, Zoe came into my room at 6:30 (her usual routine) and told me she needed to watch the new Simpsons short on Disney+ because it was for Star Wars Day. Then she asked, "Mom, is Star Wars Day an actual holiday?" I explained to her that no, May the Fourth is not an actual holiday but something the internet created that we may choose to enjoy. 

(Remember how we used to blame the greeting card companies for all the holidays? I think things have gone way beyond greeting card sales in our modern era). 

Anyway, May the Fourth got me thinking about my own relationship with Star Wars. Frankly, I neither love nor hate Star Wars. I didn't see the original movies until I was in my thirties, so I missed out on the joy of growing up with them. Scotty and I watched The Force Awakens, and I've seen about five minutes of The Phantom Menace. That's kind of the extent of things for me. 

My greatest take-away from Star Wars is the awesome memes that have come from it:

I enjoyed seeing Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland for the first time in 2019. I didn't "get" most of it because I don't know The Things, but it was a cool atmosphere and visually captivating. At that time, the only ride open was Smugglers Run, which I didn't much care for, but I've heard Rise of the Resistance is pretty awesome, so I look forward to trying that out someday. 

Nicky recently watched the original movies, and it was hysterical to hear him report his thoughts. When he found out Luke and Leia were brother and sister, he lost it! It took him days to recover. 

"But they kissed!" he said. 

"I know. It troubles me too!" I replied.

Whatever level of fandom you observe, I hope you’ve had a fantastic Star Wars Day… or Tuesday. May the fourth be with you!

No comments: