Friday, May 7, 2021

On Spiritual Gifts

This week in the Come Follow Me curriculum, one of the topics is spiritual gifts, from Doctrine & Covenants 46:8, which says, "...seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given."

One of the gifts mentioned in the scriptures is the gift of tongues, which is written about in Moroni 10 (Book of Mormon), 1 Corinthians 12, and Doctrine & Covenants 46. The gift of tongues has usually been understood to refer to an ability to learn and express oneself in a different language. Many missionaries are blessed with the gift of tongues as they minister in foreign countries. It's pretty miraculous that individuals can immerse themselves in a new language for a short time and become fluent. I took French for five years, and all I can say is, "Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce coir?" and I didn't have to take a class to learn that. 

(Okay, that's not entirely true. I can also say, "Je suis un ananas" and recite a poem about snails going to a funeral).

Actual footage of me using my spiritual gifts to bless God's children

Anyway, the other day I was at the park with some friends, and they were discussing their desire to learn Spanish. I, too, would love to learn Spanish, but I don't have a knack for languages. I didn't pick up well on French. Now granted, I wasn't immersed in it, and immersion definitely makes a big difference, but I know myself well enough to realize that I don't have a "gift" for learning a foreign language. Therefore, I've always assumed I don't have the gift of tongues. Maybe someday I'll be called on a mission, and I'll be blessed beyond my natural ability to learn another language, but thus far in my life, it's just not there. 

However...

A while ago, I read the book Seekers Wanted by Anthony Sweat, and there is a chapter on spiritual gifts, and he said something that made me think a bit differently about the gift of tongues. He defined the gift of tongues as:

"The spiritual gift to speak in a celestial language to express heavenly concepts, or to clearly communicate gospel truths in a way that is understandable to those who do not speak the way you do" (103). 

That definitely embraces learning and speaking languages, but I think it can also include clear communication in our own tongue. Even when we speak the same language, we don't all use the same words or describe things in the same way. Many times in my life, I've heard someone express a gospel concept or bear testimony in a way I hadn't thought of before, making gospel truths clearer to me. There have been times when I heard something expressed in a way that made me go, "Yes! That! I didn't have the words to put it that way, but that's it!" Perhaps that is a gift of tongues just as much as a gift for speaking foreign languages. If so, maybe it's not a gift I've been exempt from. 

Some additional verses in D&C 46 that have impacted me are verses 13&14:

"To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world. To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful."

A while ago, I wrote a post about how I do not know that there is a God, but I'm pretty darn sure there is. While reading those scriptures a few years back, I felt strongly that my role in the gospel is not to know

My role is to believe. 

My gift is to believe. 

There are those who are blessed with the gift to know. I am blessed with the gift to believe. And the more I learn and grow, the more I realize that it suits me to not "know." It pushes me and challenges my spiritual intellect to not "know," but to be pretty darn sure. 

I have always loved the topic of spiritual gifts, and I have enjoyed seeking spiritual gifts. I've discovered a lot of my own spiritual gifts through studying my patriarchal blessing and praying. I've also been blessed to benefit from the spiritual gifts of others. Some of the gifts I've appreciated in other people are:
  • the gift to "see" others 
  • the gift of music
  • the gift of a calming presence
  • the gift of expressing love
  • the gift of connecting with children 
  • the gift of charity
  • the gift of listening
  • the gift of creating order
  • the gift of perspective taking
  • the gift of bringing people together
I wouldn't mind acquiring a few more of those gifts myself. They won't get me a spot on America's Got Talent, but it's the lesser noticed gifts and talents that sometimes have the biggest impact. 

No comments: