Friday, November 20, 2020

It's a good day for sweatpants and fuzzy socks (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: I have big dreams for today. There are a lot of things I want to do, and when I'm in this kind of mood, I usually end up wasting time going from thing to thing and not actually accomplishing anything at all. My kids are home for distance learning today, so I really need to let go of any notions that I'm in control of how my day is spent anyway.

Fact #2: While we were in California last weekend, we bought two new puzzles from Downtown Disney. Scotty and I roamed the Backlot Premiere store separately and were both holding a puzzle when we reunited. 

This one (my pick) was really fun, and I loved that the images were nice and sharp (a lot of puzzles are blurry). The border on this puzzle was really challenging, so we had to build it from the inside out. 

Unfortunately, when we got to the end, we were missing a piece! We searched everywhere and never found it. 

1,000 pieces minus one

Fact #3: The other puzzle we bought (Scotty's pick) is a Haunted Mansion one, and I suspect we'll be working on it this weekend. We set up a table in the basement for "puzzle season."

Fact #4: Every day I realize more and more how clueless I am about the world. Last weekend, my sister-in-law showed me our niece's Tik Tok account, and I was like, "What is happening here? I don't understand this! Why is she doing that?" At the same time, I couldn't look away. 

Fact #5: The other day I broke out the Christmas decorations. I started with the plates... because Plate Monster... and then I figured if the plates were out, I should fully transition from fall to Christmas. 


I brought the already-decorated tree in from the shed. 

Maybe it's a little too tall for the bay window

After I got the tree in place, I decided it was time to upgrade the ribbon (after 15 years). I removed all the old ribbon and wired in new ribbon and added a few new sprigs of berries. The tree (which I purchased for $20 on clearance) was looking a little sparse with the light shining through it from the window, so the new ribbon and berries helped fill it in a bit. I normally put the tree in the corner, which I like a lot better, but our current couch doesn't allow us corner access. 

Old ribbon

New ribbon

Done!

Fact #6: I did end up buying a tree for the family room in the basement. It's currently "in progress." I let my girls put all the decorations on it last night, and now I'm just waiting for them to go back to school on Monday so I can fix it. I confess: I am a control freak about the Christmas trees. I also confess that I broke my no glitter policy when I bought the new ornaments. I will spend the next month hating glitter while simultaneously saying, "Oooooo, pretty!" 

Fact #7: The other day, Scotty and I got Chinese food for lunch, and my fortune cookie was very interesting. 



Fact #9: This morning I scrolled through some of the blog posts I wrote at the end of last year. Oh, pre-pandemic Britt. She thought she could plan an entire year of singing time for primary and actually see it through. She read the Book of Mormon and the Come Follow Me manuals for primary and for individuals and families and found someone from the Book of Mormon to introduce to the kids each week. She then found a photo and scripture about their testimony to go with each person and printed them all out and made a big wooden Book of Mormon to keep them in. Then she planned songs to correlate. She was so cute! She had no idea that stuff would sit in a locked closet all year. Maybe she can try again in 2024. 

Fact #10: Last week I saw a muskrat sitting on a Target shopping cart in the canal. 
 
Nothing weird going on here

1 comment:

Mama B said...

I love your Christmas plates 😍