Thursday, November 26, 2020

#givethanks

When COVID took over our lives at the beginning of this year, I was in the middle of a gratitude challenge. I have to say, the timing of that gratitude challenge was no coincidence. I firmly believe it saved me mentally and emotionally.  

Elder Robert D. Hales said, "In some quiet way, the expression and feelings of gratitude have a wonderful cleansing or healing nature... Gratitude brings a peace that helps us overcome the pain of adversity and failure" (1992).

This quote, which I often refer to when I teach happiness workshops, has led me to think of gratitude as "medicine," so I love that President Nelson, our prophet and a doctor, prescribed us a dose of gratitude last week to heal our hearts. 

(Here is President Nelson's story behind the message he shared last week, and here is the transcript of his message). 

The prophet encouraged us to be grateful for:

  • The gift of life - our bodies and minds
  • Art, literature, and music
  • The opportunity to repent, make amends, start over, and build character
  • Our families, friends, and loved ones
  • The opportunity to serve one another
  • Our trials and the things we learn from them
  • Our global family

President Nelson pointed out that the effects of gratitude have been validated by science as well as by men and women of faith. I had the opportunity to study gratitude from a scholarly perspective while I was in school, and I have always found the research around gratitude to be delightfully fascinating! 

Today, on Thanksgiving, I just wanted to share with you that I believe in the power of gratitude. I have seen the benefits of it in my own life. It has helped me cope with depression, it has helped me endure trials and hardship, and it has been the key to my happiness. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: