Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Pack Meeting Prep

Gasp!

I realized at 4:00 this morning that I completely forgot to post yesterday. I forgive myself, though. This week is crazy, and yesterday was the kick-off.

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but earlier this year, Scotty and I were called (asked by our Church leaders) to serve as Cub Masters in the cub scout program. The biggest of our responsibilities is planning pack meeting once a month.

In case I'm speaking a foreign language (and in case you actually care), the cub scouts are divided by age. Each age group is called a "den." All of the dens in a unit make up a "pack." Once a month, we meet as a pack (with families invited) and give out awards and do an activity.

Scotty and I have a lot of fun planning pack meeting, but I am always a basket case the week before. A few days ago, I finally came up with something to compare pack meeting prep to - it's like planning a children's birthday party every month.

I'm not complaining by any means; I'm just acknowledging that it takes some effort to pull off this monthly event.

This week, we're doing "Adventures in the Mad Lab." We have a guy from church dressing up like a mad scientist and doing science demonstrations. Yesterday, I spent a few hours gathering supplies and costumes and doing test runs of the experiments. Then last night, the "scientist" came over to our house, and we ran through some of the experiments with him.

Hopefully it will be a fun event, but until it's done (and cleaned up), I'm a little stressed.

In trying to plan pack meeting and get the Halloween festivities out of the way, I completely forgot that I have a child with a birthday next week, so I need to get to work on an actual birthday party!

Oy!

1 comment:

Jana Lyn said...

That's the perfect comparison, except I still am not sure about all the interesting cheers in cub scouts. I guess your real birthday party just needs to be all about science experiments so you can put all your efforts to good use twice.