Monday, June 5, 2023

Day One

Summer break is officially upon us. I guess today is Day One - depending on how you count. Today is the first weekday of summer break, and it feels like it should mean something. I handled the last day of school like a champ. I even hosted a party! I decided to try and be celebratory. Like maybe that would help me cope with summer.

(If you've been around this blog for a while, you already know I hate summer. If you're new here... I hate summer).

Then yesterday, it's like a switch went off, and I had to ward off an emotional breakdown, and the closer I got to TODAY, the worse it got. So last night I had to give myself some therapy - the good kind and the bad kind because I'm all about balance - so I did some CBT and emotionally ate some potato salad.

Did anyone else make potato salad at 9:00 p.m. on Saturday night just in case you had a craving for it on Fast Sunday afternoon?

Then I was like... it's fine. You're not even in the depths of it yet! Just take it a day at a time!

I decided that for Day One, I was going to try really hard to do things "right." (And by that, I mean "right" for me - no one has to do Day One like me, but I have a good grasp on what helps me stay afloat mentally and emotionally, so that's what I mean by "right.") I woke up early and did my gospel study, and then I exercised. Then I ate a (mostly) healthy breakfast. I can't promise how any other days of summer will go, but at least I did it "right" on Day One. 

Any maybe... maybe... I'm going to be just fine this summer. But I can't help being a little mental about it. 

I have things. Things, people.

Anyway, it's only 9:20 a.m. on Day One as I write this. Nicky hasn't gotten out of bed, and since he's never slept this late in his entire life, I had to go in his room and make sure he was still breathing (he was). 

I've already been asked about watching YouTube at least a dozen times, and Eva has begged for food five times since I started this post. Note that she has been fed (waffles with strawberries and cream - mind you, I haven't resorted to marshmallows and Doritos yet... probably next week...) I anticipate three months of fighting with my kids about technology rules. We've already had fights about sleepovers and endured a heavy amount of whining about hiking, but we haven't even attempted hiking, nor planned any hiking, so I'm not sure why that battle has already commenced. 

Aaaaand Eva just asked for food again.

Welcome to summer!

I'm suddenly getting sick of potato salad. 



No comments: