Tuesday, January 17, 2023

40x40


I turn 40 in 348 days. The clock is ticking, and the math is easy when your birthday is New Year’s Day, and it’s still January (don’t ask me how many days until my birthday after January 31st. I’ll have to think too hard). 

I’ve mentioned a few times that I want to do something “fun” for my 40th birthday. My interpretation of “fun” has evolved over the years, so here’s what I decided to do - I’ve set 40 goals that I want to accomplish by my 40th birthday. 

(This is the kind of stuff I consider “fun.” I also think it’s fun to make grocery lists and update my budget every week. I’m a hoot and a half. Admit it, you’re dying to hang out with me! Imagine us scouring the grocery ad together and googling new ways to use leftover baked potatoes). 

Posting a list of my 40 goals seems like something I would typically do, but I’m not going to. Some of the things I’m working on are, I’ll admit, just too darn embarrassing. However, I’ll probably post every now and then when I have finished a goal. Some of my goals are one and done and easy to check off the list, like making deviled eggs. Until a few weeks ago, I’d never made deviled eggs before, but I made it one of my goals, and mission accomplished!

(They were gross, by the way. Now I need to make them again with a different recipe).

Other goals will take all year, such as keeping track of my gospel study (I decided rather than setting a specific goal for how often I study the scriptures, I just want to keep track of days I do it. I write a heart on my calendar for each day I engage in some form of intentional gospel study, and guess what! I haven’t missed a day so far this year - albeit we’re still  only a few days into the year - but it feels nice to simplify my expectations and just be consistent). 

Maybe by the time I turn 40, I’ll be a slightly better version of myself. At minimum, I’ll have a decent deviled egg recipe added to my cookbook and 17 days of hearts in my day planner.

No comments: