Friday, March 20, 2020

All the Blessings that Come with Challenges


I started these gratitude prompts two weeks ago. TWO WEEKS.  That's it. It's amazing to think that two weeks ago, I had no idea that my life (and your lives) would be completely different by the time I made it to prompt #8. I didn't know how much I was going to need GRATITUDE. By turning my focus to gratitude two weeks ago, I unknowingly prepped myself to handle so much of what is going on right now.

I'm not grateful for the coronavirus. I'm not grateful for the earthquakes. I'm not grateful for the challenges.

But I can't deny the blessings, and I am grateful for what comes from the challenges. Here are some of the things I have been thankful for:

Blessing #1: Shopping Spree

At the end of February, I got some cash rewards from Sam's Club. I decided I was going to use the money to stock up on food and other household supplies in hopes of cushioning our budget later.

When I got home, I was carrying all the stuff inside, and that's when the spring on the garage broke. I immediately started kicking myself for spending all that money at Sam's Club. Now we needed an expensive repair! I wasn't going to return a trunk full of groceries to pay for a garage spring, but if the spring had broken first I wouldn't have spent the money the way I did.

Because of that shopping trip, I had several items in my house that would be hard to find for a while.

Blessing #2: Toilet Paper

I didn't buy toilet paper on that Sam's Club trip because we didn't need any. But on my next Sam's Club visit (which was Pandemic Palooza minus 3 days), there were just a few packages of TP left on the pallet, so I bought one.

Blessing #3: Car Trouble

When is car trouble ever a blessing? When it happens before a pandemic and an earthquake, so you're not scrambling in chaos to find car repair services.

Blessing #4: Home

No matter how terrifying it gets out there, I find such comfort in "home." I keep talking to my kids about this when they feel scared. I say to them, "I know it's really scary right now, and there's a lot we don't know, but I want you to remember what it feels like to be home with your family." They all agree that home feels safe. I'm so grateful that Scotty and I can provide that feeling for our kids. Home can feel safe. Home can feel normal.

Zoe with her puzzle

And as you already know, I am overwhelmingly thankful that we were all home when the earthquake hit. Of all the blessings I have experienced in the past week, this is the greatest.

Blessing #5: Technology

Of course technology has been a wonderful blessing to have. Not only is it keeping us connected with friends and family, it's also providing my children's education and allowing Scotty to work from home.

I'm so thankful that we were able to get in touch with loved ones quickly during the earthquake.

Blessing #6: Teachers and Faculty of the School

The school staff have been incredible. They have been in constant contact with us as we have transitioned to distance learning. Zoe's teacher called each student individually. Our principal has done regular Facebook Live sessions to give information to parents. After the earthquake, our principal sent out a video with words of reassurance. He was very emotional, and I was touched by his love for his students. As Zoe and I sat at the computer on Wednesday to get started on school, we watched a video from her teacher, Miss V. It was recorded pre-earthquake, and we watched it after the earthquake. I got teary eyed listening to the message and hearing Miss V speak reassurance to her students. She didn't know that they would be watching her video after one of the scariest experiences of their little lives!

Blessing #7: Savings

We are saving quite a bit of money by going NOWHERE!

Blessing #8: Simplicity

One thing I am embracing about our current situation is how simple my life has become. Our calendar has been stripped of all non-essentials - something I would normally fear. But it has been wonderful! I'm making a lot of realizations about the kind of life I want to have.

Our plan for Thursday


Blessing #9: Creativity

I feel like I've had a lot of opportunities to be creative and think outside the box, and it's kind of a good feeling.

Blessing #10: Stewardship

The past week has given me the chance to consider my stewardship over what I have. I am being more thoughtful about what we use in our home. I want to go to the store as little as possible, so we are using this time to strategically use what’s on hand. This makes me feel deeper gratitude for what I have.

Blessing #11: Chickens

I'm very grateful to have chickens right now. The last couple of times I've been to the store, there have been no eggs. We live right by an egg company, and the line to get eggs has been so bad that they have had to have police come direct the traffic. Our chickens just started laying again (we let them take a break in the winter). Good timing, girls!

Blessing #12: Time to Grow

I feel like this phase of isolation as a family is giving us time to grow. We are doing things we normally don't make time for. I've decided to use this time to become a better baker. If this madness ever ends, and I come out of it without baking skills, I will retire for life. In the meantime, I'm going to practice. Unless I run out of flour. Which could happen.

Blurry cinnamon rolls
(my phone's camera is on the fritz)

We also have time to work on unfinished projects around the house. Basement, garden, and more!

I even sat down and started watching Star Wars. Maybe I'll see it through from start to finish. I've made it 11 minutes so far.

Blessing #13: Peaceful Feelings

I have continually felt peace. I don't know what more to say about it other than there is an underlying sense of calm in my soul.

-----

I have to acknowledge that many people are not in as fortunate circumstances as I am. Things that bless me might not be blessings for others. Right now I am so grateful to be able to stay home. There are people who can't do that. There are children home while their moms and dads continue to work. That has to be very stressful for the parents, especially with the responsibility for school and the looming worry of illness. There are people whose employment is severely affected by what is going on. Many are experiencing heightened anxiety and worry.

I will try my best to be a light and do what I can for others. I apologize to my friends, family, and neighbors for the hardships I cannot see. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to ease your burdens. This is not easy, but there is comfort in knowing that we are all in it together.

No comments: