Saturday, May 11, 2019

The Latest in Birthday Posters

For the past six years I've made a monthly birthday poster for my kids' school. My favorite day of the school year is the day I hang the last poster! That happened last week. I always start of the year going strong, and then by May, I never want to see a roll of butcher paper again (but then I agree to continue doing it the next year. It's a vicious cycle!)

I posted the first half of the year's posters here. These are the rest for this school year:

January


In January, our family went to Disneyland, so naturally, I had Disney on the brain. Stars are one of my favorite shapes to use for the kids' names. 

February


In February, The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part came to theaters, so I made Emmett. Let it be known, Lego hands are complicated. 

March


In March I saw a Baby Shark birthday invitation, and I realized how simple the sharks would be to make out of paper, so Baby Shark, it was! But what looks "simple" never really is. These posters all take at least four hours. Some take longer. 

I draw most things free-hand on white paper, and when it looks right, I hang it on my window and trace it on to colored paper. I have to make all the pieces out of the right colors and then glue them together. I'm always on the look-out for images that would be easy(ish) to make with layered colored paper. 

April


This was the first time I did anything with an Easter theme. I haven't wanted to do Easter posters in March (it feels too early) or when Easter is early in April (because then it feels out-dated for the rest of the month). Since Easter was toward the end of April, I did an Easter poster. 

Also, this school year I started using paint sometimes. I painted the Easter basket in this one and then used a Sharpie to make the details. I also used paint to make Charlie Brown and Frosty the Snowman

May


For May I wanted to do something for Endgame. I had big ideas, but I went with this one since I love Captain America, and it was "simple." I figure I can use some more of my Avengers ideas next year when I'm in a rut. 

1 comment:

Mama B said...

Cute and creative as always!