Thursday, May 23, 2019

Summer begins in 5...4...3...

It's the the last day of school, and I'm ready, but I'm not ready.

I'm ready for lazy mornings and not having to drive ten thousand places every day. I'm ready for a break from dance lessons and after school programs. I'm ready to put the coats and snow pants away and to not worry about sickness at every turn. I'm ready to let my kids play in the hose and consider it good enough for a bath. I'm ready for BBQs and fresh summer produce and days at the park. I'm ready for mid-day naps under the swamp cooler.

But I'm not ready for:

"I'm hungry."

"Can a friend come over?"

"What are we going to do today?"

"We aren't supposed to have chores in summer!"

"You're the worst!"

"Can we do water balloons?"

"It's too hot!"

"This is so unfair!"

"Can I have another popsicle?"

"It wasn't me!"

"Moooooooommmmmm!"

And I'm not ready for bikes laying all over the place, the never-ending tracking of sand and water in the house, or battles over too much TV. I'm not ready to be constantly soaked in my own sweat and suffering the urge to claw my face off if I have the smallest bit of make-up on. I'm not ready for Scotty to be gone nearly every-other week, and I'm not ready for ugly, knee-length shorts. I'm not ready to take four kids and twelve bottles of sunscreen everywhere I go. And I'm most certainly not ready to do anything involving a swimming suit.

So bring it on, summer. Except don't.

(More like Day 3 for me)

2 comments:

Miss L said...

I love this so much, I can’t even. It is So. True.

Mama B said...

Just getting caught up on all my commenting, if you can't tell. I always do it when I'm at the computer since comments don't always work from my phone. I feel the same way. There are things I look forward to about summer break and things I don't. It feels like time for a change though so I'm excited for summer. My kids have one more week.