Wednesday, May 29, 2019

"Summer" Break is in Full Swing (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: We've been getting an unusual amount of rain around here for the past few weeks. I don't necessarily mind it unless I'm stuck downtown with four kids in a downpour, and I'm three blocks from my van hiding out under an awning outside a cafe, and we are all wearing flip-flops.

(Flip-flops + rain = imminent death).

Fact #2: My kids celebrated the last day of school by splashing in the gutter.


Fact #3: Zoe has been going through a "wear pajamas all the time" phase for about three years now. I make her wear real clothes to school, but she usually changes straight into pajamas as soon as she gets home. Sometimes we have to let her wear a a nightgown under her dress for church just to keep the peace. 

Fact #4: Today I'm patting myself on the back because I paid off my library fines. I kind of had to, or they would've sent me to collections. 

$28.99

Small successes, folks. 

Fact #5: As hard as summer break is with the kids, there are a lot of benefits to having Nicky around. He is a great helper, and he is so much like his dad. Today I was supervising him using some power tools (while trying to remain calm), and it's amazing to watch him because he just knows stuff! I asked him once, "Did Dad show you how to do that?" and he said, "No. I just know." And there I was searching for YouTube videos for no reason. 


Fact #6: The kid can't play a ukulele to save his life, though. Just saying. I spend an hour last week trying to get him to hold the darn thing without looking like he's scared of catching a disease from it. He never got there. 

Fact #7: But how lucky am I? Scotty is amazing. I really mean it. And Nicky is a Mini Scotty. So I have these two incredible men in my life. 

Fact #8: I currently have a sinus infection, a stye in my eye, and a possible broken toe. And just for good measure, I stabbed my hand with a skewer so I'm punctured, too. 

Fact #9: Even though it's still May, my personal May chaos has come to an end. Hallelujah! I'm very grateful that my aforementioned ailments (see fact #8) didn't hit until after the madness. 

Fact #10: Scotty and I have slowly been making small improvements around our house, such as swapping out our builder-grade faucets and installing soffit lighting. It's all very exciting! 

No comments: