Friday, April 27, 2018

Friday, Feet, & Ta Da Lists

It's Friday!

Some weekends are worth looking forward to. Some aren't. This one should be pretty good, but it's going to be so busy I'll hardly have a moment to breath. I have a lot of stuff to get done before 4:00 this afternoon, and I keep having to take breaks to rest my feet.

My feet are in rough shape. They hurt all the time. I think I had plantar fasciitis from June 2016 until last summer in one foot, and then after two months of relief, it started in the other foot. It seems to be gone now, but for the past two years, aside from the plantar fasciitis, the entire surface area of both feet hurt ALL THE TIME. It feels like I've ran a marathon every day, and it only take five minutes on my feet doing absolutely nothing to make them feel that way. So I do little tasks, like load the dishwasher, and then I have to sit and put my feet up for 20 minutes to relieve the pain. Why have I put up with this for two years? Why can't I just go to a doctor? What is wrong with me?

(Part of the reason I don't go to the doctor is that it's incredibly hard for a mother to go to a doctor appointment for herself. I'm pretty sure that more work goes into arranging a doctor appointment as a mom than is required to coordinated the Olympics).

(Last week's dentist appointment more than proved this).

(Also, I don't want cortisone shots or ugly shoes).

(Aaaaand I don't have a primary care physician, and I need to start there to get a referral to a foot doctor, so it's just one more inconvenient step in taking care of my medical problems).

(BUT I am finally desperate enough that I made an appointment with a primary care physician "to establish care" for May, so maybe there will be a podiatrist visit in my future).

All of this is to say that I'm using my foot resting time to check in on the 'ol blog here.

One of my daily struggles (especially with how often I stop working to rest my feet) is that I never feel like I do enough. I tend to see everything I haven't done rather than everything I have done (can I get an 'amen?' I have the feeling I'm not alone in this). On days where I feel like I'm buried, I've started writing a "Ta Da! List" instead of a "To Do List." I write down all the things I accomplish in the day so at the end of it, I'm not deceived by things like a sink full of dishes or an unvacuumed floor.

Today is such a day. It's 11:33, and here's what I've done today:

  • Read my scriptures
  • Cooked and bagged 10 lbs of chicken to freeze
  • Did a load of dishes
  • Washed an additional two sinks full of dishes by hand
  • Went grocery shopping
  • Went to the nursery to buy a few garden plants
  • Planted the plants (there were only 2)
  • Started a load of laundry
  • Took out the garbage

Ta da!


It's not uncommon to see little scraps of paper with similar lists all over my kitchen. Note to self: you did stuff today!

(There's still so much to do. Yikes!)

In other news, we have another case of strep among us. Daisy's sore throat of last week cleared up on it's own. Daisy is a classic wolf crier, so we never know with her. We kept putting off taking her in because her sore throat complaints seemed to coincide with going to school, going to church, and doing chores, but never with playing outside or watching TV. Yesterday, though, Nicky woke up with a sore throat, so we got him into the doctor last night, and it's strep.

He's home from school today which is nice because he's pretty helpful and chill... as long as Daisy isn't around. Come 1:00 when Daisy gets out of school, they will be at each other's throats.

I don't think I've ever given you the illusion that my children get along harmoniously, but just in case I've fooled you along the way, know this: they are yelling at each other about pizza at this very moment. And if Daisy were home, there would be blood because she is a tornado of fingernails and teeth.

Back on my feet I go. Hold me!



No comments: