Monday, April 30, 2018

I want to live in stretchy pants permanently (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: I've lived in Salt Lake City my whole life, and I've been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints my whole life, but I've never had a run-in with an apostle. I've seen them from very far away at Conference Center events, and one time Elder Ballard was the presiding authority at our stake conference, but I didn't go anywhere near him.

So imagine my surprise this weekend when I was standing outside a non-Church bathroom, and I turned and saw President Oaks within arms reach of me. My jaw about hit the floor.

Then, about an hour and a half later, Scotty and I found ourselves waiting at a crosswalk with Quentin L. Cook and his wife. Just us and them. I was sure it was Elder Cook, but at the same time, it seemed so out of context to see him out wandering the streets (at 11:00 at night, no less) that I found myself saying, "Are you Elder Cook or just a really good look alike?"

He said, "I am Elder Cook!" and he reached out and shook my hand... in the middle of the road. This was my first apostle meet and greet.

Fact #2: I am still on a Hamilton high.

Fact #3: Last week I bought 80 pounds of chicken, and then I had to do some crazy Tetris configurations to get it all to fit in my freezers. I got it all in, but now I just want to eat out for the rest of my life so I don't have to unbury my food.

Fact #4: Here are a few sheet pan dinners I've made lately that don't suck (all featuring chicken - see fact #3):

Sheet Pan Cashew Chicken

Sheet Pan Unstuffed Chicken Cordon Bleu

Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas

Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken & Veggies (I used mushrooms, zucchini, and snap peas)


Fact #5: My kids hate my cooking. Just so we're clear. I don't want you to think that, because I posted some recipes with vegetables, my family actually eats them! Pshaw!

Fact #6:

Today's plan: Wake up at 5:30. Walk 3 miles. Healthy breakfast. Shower & full groom cycle. Send kids to school. Be productive.

Today's reality: Woke up at 4:50. Walked 3 miles in the rain. Cereal for breakfast. Three year old took over bath tub. Nearly froze to death waiting for shower. Finally showered. Forgot to wash my hair. Forgot Nicky had to be to school early today. Fought long battle with five-year-old over pink pants. Gave up on all expectations and went to buy a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich.

Fact #7: At the Brittish household, we've been responsible for a lot of lives lately. Obviously there are the six humans who live at our house, but in addition to that, we also have five chickens (formerly eight, may the three we lost over the winter rest in peace), two rabbits, and two parakeets.

But...

That's not all.

We got some caterpillars for Easter, and they have been coming out of their cocoons over the past few days (at this point, we might just need to write off the remaining two as dead).

AND... for the past month, I've been taking care of some green bean plants that we planted in primary.

Fact #8: The green bean plants didn't all grow, so I had to pull a fast one on the primary kids and buy some green bean plants. Yep. Totally lied to the primary kids. That's how I roll.

Then I gave a plant to one of the kids to take home, and he pretty much killed it before he even left the building.

Fact #9: It snowed this morning.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Fact #10: The other day I was listening to a Backstreet Boys playlist on YouTube, and Daisy asked me if it was One Direction.

Girl, please.




2 comments:

Jessie L said...

This is the first time I’ve commented. I’m the primary chorister in my ward too so I was wondering what the green beans were for? You are still the chorister right?

Jessie L said...

Oh and I’ve never seen an apostle outside of the conference center either.