Monday, December 19, 2022

Top Twelve Board Games of 2022

For the past few years, I've compiled a list of our top ten board games for the year. The list is based on our game night ledger - the official record of the games we play at every game night and who wins. I tally how many game nights each game was played (as opposed to how many times we played it - since some games are shorter and can easily be played multiple times) to determine our top ten each year. 

This year flew by in terms of gaming. As I reviewed the ledger, I was surprised how many games we didn't play in 2022 (Mariposas, for example, which is one of my favorites!) My list of Games to Play Immediately is now excessively long, and I'm going to need Scotty, Chad, and Carlie to take at least two weeks off work so we can rent a cabin in the woods and catch up on our gaming. 

For this year's list, I ended up doing the Top Twelve because of a few ties. Here they are: 

#12: Thurn and Taxis

Thurn and Taxis (rhymes with axis) is an oldie but goodie that we’ve been playing for about 15 years.

#11: Quixx


Quixx was new to us this year. It’s a simple and fun dice game. 

#10: Princes of Florence


Princes of Florence is a game we laugh about because we always forget how to score it. 

#9: Qwirkle

For the record: I never win Qwirkle.

#8: Love Letter


We had to buy a new copy of Love Letter this year because ours was so beat up! We miss the original game and artwork. Change can be hard.

#7: Bloom

I love the bright colors of Bloom - another dice game by the same company that did Quixx.

#6: Splendor


We’ve enjoyed Splendor for many years now. 


#5: Viticulture


Viticulture was new to us this year. It’s a fun game, but a little on the long side. Sometimes I wonder, “How are we still playing this game?”

#4: Bohnanza


“Beans,” as we call it.

#3: Take 5


Take 5 is another new game for us this year. 

#2: 7 Wonders


7 Wonders is one of our favorites and has been in the top three every year.

#1: Wingspan


And there she is… our Number One for three years running: Wingspan. I play at least one round every day on my phone. But that doesn’t count toward our tally. It’s just a favorite all around! 


Here are our lists from past years: 









2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

I love this! Wingspan is our #1 too this year... And glory of all glories we are currently at a cabin the woods with Hank and Micah playing all the games!!! So very fitting post!

love.joy.lane said...

I also love that you include variety on types of fans... We are on a very stuck Birds, Mars, Agricola rotation