Wednesday, December 14, 2022

20 Minutes

Obligatory holiday photo

I have exactly 20 minutes before I need to leave somewhere, and then I'll be running like crazy for the rest of the day. I decided to cozy up on my couch and use that time to blog - arriving wherever I can before the time runs out, and I hit publish. 

I wish I could say that my blog posts aren't time consuming, but they take a lot longer to write than one might think (if you know, you know). I pretend it's quick and easy, but it's not always that way. That is to say that 20 minutes might seem like enough time to write a decent post, but it really isn't. 

Anyway, here we are mid-December, and I'm realizing that time spends differently this time of year. I've tackily mentioned several times over the past 6-8 weeks that I'm super busy. That remains true, but I never like hearing people talk about how busy they are, so it's a conversation I'm sorry I've contributed to. 

But ya'll! I'm busy! Every single day in December has been packed with stuff, especially from the time school gets out until bed time. I've had to simplify some things and decline some things to make it work. Some of my busy-ness is self-inflicted, and I'm learning a lot. In fact, I'm in the process of writing myself a letter (via blog post) that I will schedule to post next fall to pep talk myself through the holidays. If I die before then, it's going to be really awkward when that post goes live. 

Morbid, yes, but it's always a possibility. Just keepin' it real.

Speaking of keepin' it real, I let Nicky join Be Real, so I also joined so I can keep tabs on him. I have four friends. We are often all in the same place, so our posts are just four different angles of the same thing. Good times. 

We are already to the point in December where we say, "Christmas break starts next week." That brings forth the reality of "being ready" for Christmas. I have exactly one week left to get everything done. 

This year, I've accidentally left Christmas gifts (from Santa) out twice. Daisy found the first batch, and Zoe and Eva found the second batch. I pulled out an old lie my own mom used to tell me: “I bought these for (insert names), but if Santa knows you like them, maybe he'll bring you the same thing!” (Face Palm).

One of the big events on my calendar is that Nicky is getting his braces off today. He's excited. I'm excited. Daisy is not excited because she has had her braces on longer than he has, and he gets his off first. Life is unfair. Teeth are unfair. But I'm excited to see Nicky's pearly whites again. Daisy will get hers off sometimes around May if all goes well. 

Five more minutes...

We got some snow this morning, so I've been out shoveling. We live on a corner, so that means we have extra sidewalk to take care of, and we get a lot of foot traffic on the east side of our house, so I always like to make sure that's cleared off for the pedestrians. I still frequently use corded earbuds (I can't ever have air pods because 1) I don't think they'll fit in my ears and 2) I will lose them), and let me tell you, they are NOT compatible with shoveling! I think I spent half my shovel time unwinding the cord from the shovel handle - all to listen to an audiobook that I'm not even enjoying. 

I haven't been able to read or listen to many books this month because my mind is a mess right now. I'm having a really hard time focusing. There is a lot on my mind - some stressful things and some joyful things. Just lots of stuff going in and out of this brain day and night. 

And thus my twenty minutes have ended, and off I go to carpe diem.



No comments: