Wednesday, December 21, 2022

It's the first day of winter (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: It's the last day of school before winter break, so I have approximately four hours to finish getting ready for Christmas or everything left to do has to be done in the presence of four hyper and emotional youths. 

Fact #2: Last weekend my girls had their Christmas dance concert. This is the first one they've had in about five years. Our studio usually does one every two years, and then there was COVID, so ya know...


Fact #3: I was excited to get our Charlie Brown photo op out in the yard yesterday. This year I made a sign to go with it so people know it's okay to go in our yard and take a photo (last year people commented that they saw it, but they didn't know if it was okay to come in our yard, so they didn't stop for a photo). I refurbished the sign I made for our school's COVID photo booth in 2020. 


Fact #4: I have a new eye wrinkle. I discovered it in a photo that was taken of me two weeks ago. It looked like there was something black in the corner of my eye, and I zoomed in to find that it was a divot! In my face!!! I showed it to Scotty, and even he was like, "Whoa! That's crazy!"


Fact #5: On Monday night we went to Candlelight Christmas at This is the Place Heritage Park with my in-laws. 


It was not my kind of event. Going in and out of tiny pioneer houses with masses of people is not my idea of fun. But I endured. For the children.

Fact #6: I've realized this Christmas that I do a lot of enduring and not a lot of enjoying. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that. Instead of embracing the holiday season, I'm just checking everything off my list to get it over with. 

Fact #7: I've banished Zoe and Eva from using toothpaste indefinitely. After fifteen years of cleaning up toothpaste, I finally quit. I took their toothpaste away, and they can try it again at some future point. For now, they only get water and mouth wash. I would definitely prefer that they use toothpaste, but since toothpaste isn't necessary for oral health, and I'm sick of having it smeared over every surface of my house, I've banned it.

(I've tried toothpaste tablets and a wall mounted toothpaste dispenser. They did not solve the problem. I've also tried pre-pasted toothbrushes, and they were gross, so my kids refuse to use them). 

Fact #8: In other bathroom-related news, I lost my patience with people putting toilet paper the wrong way, so I hung this sign by the TP. My children can tell their therapists about their passive-aggressive mother someday when they're working through all their crap. 


Fact #9: Since Christmas is on a Sunday this year, there's a lot of buzz about how families handle the church thing. I have some church-going friends who refuse to go to church on Christmas. I have friends who are adamant about attending church and make their kids wait until after church to open presents. We lie somewhere in between. We go to church, but we don't make our kids wait to open presents. We fully plan on arriving to church with particles of gift wrap clinging to our bottoms. We're always up by 5:00-6:00 on Christmas morning, so we'll be fighting and feasting on breakfast casserole before the sun comes up. 

Fact #10: I have no motivation to do anything regarding Fact #1. 

No comments: