Monday, May 4, 2020

Currently {May 2020 Edition}

Reading:


Listening to: a Sunday playlist I've been making on Spotify. My kids hate it. They pretty much bemoan everything I do to try and bring the spirit to our home. Makes me feel like a champ.

Eating: my current breakfast obsession - a ham, egg, and cheese bagel with a slightly runny egg that drizzles yolk over everything. Must be washed down with orange juice, but today I had a smoothie instead.


Watching: The Chosen. We're working through it slowly - one episode each Sunday.

Enjoying: watching our garden grow. Seeing plants come out of the ground and knowing we did the work to make it happen is pretty satisfying. Over the past few years, we've gotten out of our gardening groove. I had to let the garden go while I was in school, but now we're getting back to the grind.

Buying: odds and ends online. I ordered some shorts for Daisy, a new hand mixer (I destroyed mine at Christmas), a sprinkler, and a "Beware of Chickens" sign.

Craving: a vacation. But alas, I don't want to go on a "weird COVID vacation," so I'll just hang out here for a while.

Playing: Wingspan and Dead Man's Chest. We hadn't played games for a couple of weeks (I got sick of playing games with my kids - as much as I love them, they are no stand-ins for Chad and Carlie!), but yesterday, Daisy asked if we could play games, so we did.

Wearing: some floral exercise pants that I cut off into shorts this morning. They are very unflattering, but guess what! No one's really lookin'!

Feeling: mostly fine but a little irritable with my kids.

Obsessed with: the baby birds in our backyard. They hatched on Saturday.

Here are the first four right after they hatched:


At that point, they were just a pile of flesh, and they would try to lift their heads, but they couldn't support the weight. About an hour later, the fifth egg had hatched, and the babies could lift their heads. The youngest one still couldn't lift its head, though, so you can only see the four in this photo:


The parents were rushing in and out of the birdhouse with worms for them. Then after they were all fed, they fell asleep. We were careful to give them space, but I just had to peek a few times. Surprisingly, the parents weren't super territorial that day, but now they are. 

Its incredible to see how much they change in just 24 hours. Yesterday Scotty snuck a photo of them, and they had already started filling in with fluffy feathers. 


There is something so amazing and sacred about brand new life. Even when its a bunch of trash birds. 

Missing: frivolous trips out of the house.

Procrastinating: getting school started for Zoe. She and Eva are playing happily in their bedroom. I don't want to mess with that!

Also, a bunch of my photos vanished from recent blog posts. I have no idea why. I need to go add them back in while I can remember what they were, but I just don't want to do the work!

Looking forward to: lunch. Because the only exciting thing we do each day is eat. Today I have my choice between leftovers: chicken cordon bleu rice bake or pesto pasta. I'll let my appetite be my guide in about two and a half hours. Maybe I'll go wild and have both! Carpe diem!

Trying: to get my family to drink more water. I declared it a family goal for this week, and I made everyone fill up their water bottles this morning. This is Monday behavior. By Wednesday, everyone will be dehydrated and ornery again as normal.

Grateful for: the personal tutoring that comes from Heavenly Father. I am learning stuff.

No comments: