Monday, April 8, 2024

Spring Break 2024

This past week was spring break for our school district. I always struggle a bit when my kids are out of school. I wish that weren’t the case - it’s one of my greatest shames in motherhood, that I have a hard time managing my kids at home for long periods of time. I love them fiercely, but I get overwhelmed and overstimulated by them very easily. I had a couple of days this week where I about lost it, but I tried really hard to give my kids a decent spring break. It wasn’t anything super amazing, but we all survived it. 

Here are a few things that happened while the kids were out of school:

Nicky and Daisy performed at the high school dance concert

Daisy did two dances with her junior high dance company, and Nicky was in a partner dance with the high school dance company (it’s been pretty funny to see how often Nicky ends up in dance performances).

Nicky went to Disneyland for theatre and was gone over Easter. 

Bounding with his boys

We celebrated Easter.

We celebrated April Fools’. 

April Fools’ dinner

Zoe pranking me with a dish of “brown E’s”

I worked two days (this was a bit of a trial run to see how my kids would do at home without me).

We tried to fly kites, and it didn’t go very well.

Three minutes into the event 

We went on a DI shopping trip and then to Wheeler Farm.


We went to the pet store and didn’t buy a bearded dragon (or any other animals).


I went rock climbing with the Young Women (and by that I mean I sat in a bench and watched).

Zoe and Lydia

Nicky’s “not girlfriend” (who has “not” been his girlfriend for about a year and a half now) turned 16 while Nicky was in California. I was in charge of delivering 16 roses to her on her birthday. They tipped over while I was driving, and the water from the vase “glug, glug, glugged” all over the floor of my van where there happened to be a sweatshirt and jacket to absorb it all (perks of having a messy van this week).

We went to see Kung Fu Panda 4.

We went to the Manti temple open house.


While we were in the area, we made a surprise visit at my parents’ house to take my step-mom her birthday present. We got to see lots of animals between theirs and their neighbors’ homesteads. The highlight was the baby bunnies.

Dear little bunnies,
Please don’t be dead after we touched you

Zoe and Eva slept over at my mom’s house one night. The rest of spring break they slept in their own tents in our family room. They loved it because it’s the closest they’ve ever been to having their own rooms. I’m not opposed to making it a permanent arrangement.

Nicky and Zoe had orthodontist appointments, and Nicky officially graduated. No more orthodontist appointments for him unless he has an issue.

We did baptisms for the dead and then went to Red Robin for lunch.

We went on another DI shopping trip (since Nicky was in California for our first round). 

We listened to General Conference. 

We played lots of board games and watched some movies. 

When I look back at this post, it seems like we did so much! But even with all this, we endured hours and hours of boredom, and my kids spent way too much time on electronics. Zoe and Eva fought incessantly, and it felt like spring break was three months long. It ended with me being a bit of an emotional mess Sunday night. 

No comments: