Sunday, April 28, 2024

It Was Cold and Rainy Today (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: I am six eight days soda sober. Again. You know how I be. But last week I had a doctor appointment, and my blood pressure is high (still), so I’m being more diligent with my sobriety because reducing sugar and cutting caffeine are two of the 5,000 things I need to do to help lower my BP.

Fact #2: As always, when I stop drinking soda, I feel like there’s a huge void in my life. 

Fact #3: Lately I’ve lost interest in a lot of things. I haven’t read a book in several weeks. I tried to do a puzzle during General Conference, and I couldn’t. I haven’t really felt like blogging. The strange high I get from making a meal plan and grocery list has abandoned me. The thrift store holds no allure, and I haven’t been super interested in my garden (though I did get a crop of peas and onions started). 

I don’t feel like I’ve spiraled into depression, but I’m always attentive to my loss of interest in things just because it is such a telling symptom. I’m wondering if maybe I’m shifting the way I spend my time as a result of working. Now that I work, I have to use my time differently, so maybe I’m just prioritizing other things. 

Fact #4: I think yoga is a conspiracy. They almost had me convinced to lay in the floor in happy baby pose for five minutes until I realized how stupid I would look.


“Let’s tell them that if they lay on their back and hold their feet in the air, they can eliminate back pain!”

…my kid walks in on me doing happy baby pose and is traumatized for life…

Fact #5: On Friday night I surprised Scotty with tickets to see Come From Away. It’s currently one of his musical obsessions. We were on the front row, and in comparison to where we normally sit… wow! 


If you’ve never heard of it, it is about September 11th when the airspace closed, and all of the planes had to be grounded. It takes place in the town of Gander in New Foundland, where 38 planes landed and the town had to take in and house 7,000 displaced travelers. 

There’s a recording of the Broadway show on Apple TV.

Fact #6: The last three weekends in a row, Zoe and Eva have slept over somewhere for a night, and it has been really wonderful. 

They also continue sleeping in tents in the basement because it’s the closest they’ve come to having their own rooms.

Fact #7: Nicky asked me to make a poster for him to answer a girl who asked him to Senior Ball. I accidentally gave the minion a front bum.


Fact #8: When I was little, I referred to the female genitalia as the “front bum.” My mom’s bestie Gina often tells me about how I told her that babies come from the front bum. 

Fact #9: I also referred to breasts as “nursers.” Genius, right? To call them what they are?

Fact #10: I’m currently trying to stay awake until Nicky gets home. I have 25 more minutes til his curfew. I’m not gonna make it. 


No comments: