Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Kid Things: A Photo Essay

The other day Daisy had an eye appointment at 8:00 in the morning. I had a couple of options for getting Zoe and Eva to school - I could either ask someone else to take them or take them after Daisy's appointment. I decided to take them late rather than coordinate with someone else to get them to school. 

When we pulled in to the school, they asked, "So... what do we do when we're late for school?" And I said, "I don't really know!" Because we've never really been late for school. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go in the school with them or just send them in. I figured it was probably okay to just send them in, but I decided to write a note for good measure. I found a blank post-in on the floor of the van (I'd like to think that the hair and dirt stuck to the back just added to the sincerity of the message), jotted down a note, and sent them on their way. 



---------------------------------------

Scotty and Nicky are in a constant competition to see who is taller. About once a week, I'm stuck playing judge. I think Scotty still reigns by about a 1/4 inch, but it's really close. 
 

Nicky spoke at a youth devotional on Sunday following a petite young lady, and I swear it took ten minutes for the pulpit to reach the right height for him to be heard in the microphone. It made me think of my cousin Blake, who, when speaking at the pulpit, can only be seen from the nose down on Zoom. 

---------------------------------------

We recently got a new (used) mattress (after 20 years, it was much needed). When we removed our old mattress, we found Zoe and Eva's secret stash of candy wrappers. 

I was not pleased. 


Nor were they when I made them clean it up.

---------------------------------------

My home is full of creative people. 

I quite enjoy this portrait Eva made of Scotty during sacrament meeting a couple of Sundays ago.


It's funny to me that Eva sees him as a bearded man because Scotty isn't actually allowed to have a beard due to his work. But every weekend, he gets lazy and lets his stubble grow, so on Sundays, he has scruff, so I guess Eva has figured out that if she draws her dad on a Sunday, he needs to have a beard.

---------------------------------------

On the weekends, things get messy at our house. I jokingly refer to the messes as "consequences of nurturing" because it's always when my kids are doing things that are good for their brains that everything gets trashed. 

Last weekend, Zoe and Eva got the costumes out and had a grand old "nurturing" time. 


The hairy belly fanny pack makes me do a double take every time. 

---------------------------------------

Sometimes Zoe is a mood in the mornings. 


Please note the “consequences of nurturing” at our kitchen table. We frequently eat breakfast with Lego among us. 

---------------------------------------

Over the weekend, I participated in nearly 8 hours of stake conference meetings. This meant I had to do a lot of parenting by text message while my kids were home. 



I was fine until 11:20 on Sunday. Then something inside of me snapped, and I wanted to run out of the chapel with my arms flailing, yelling, "Get me out of here!" 

It took every ounce of control I could muster to make it through those last 40 minutes. 

1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

If I knew the magic to make something go viral I would viral-ize that tardy note! That is the THE BEST!!!