Tuesday, November 23, 2021

[Insert big sigh of relief here]

Ahhhhhhh. My crazy November schedule is now tapering off. 

Last night was the final show for the musical at the high school. They did The Addams Family, and Nicky was in the ensemble, so he has been going to rehearsals for months. Before that, he was tied up with the school golf team, so all of a sudden, I'm going to have my son back, and he's going to be bored out of his mind!

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been doing stage make-up on the kids for dress rehearsals and performances. When I volunteered to help, I didn't know how much work it would actually be (kind of like most things I volunteer for). 

It was really fun, and I'd do it again in a heart beat, but wow! It was quite a commitment! I did make-up on 8-10 kids each time, which totaled to over 80 make-up applications by the end. I would get to the school around 4:30, do make-up for two straight hours, then watch the play for 2.5 hours. 

I never did any theatre in my youth, and I regret it, so this is me making up for it. 

It was fun to get to work with each kid's character and personality. After doing a few shows, I had a line-up of regular "clients." Some had special requests - "I want my scar outlined," "I want stitches on my lips," "I want to look like I was punched in one eye." By the end, I knew waaaaay too much about each kid's facial features including their hairy moles, their tendency toward sweaty foreheads, and their dry patches (the make-up wreaked havoc on their skin night after night). 

With doing so much make-up application, I started experiencing this weird phenomenon where I would see "white people." At the first night of the show, I told Scotty, "There must be a bunch of people in the audience from another play because I've seen lots of people with white make-up on." They looked like our theatre kids after they'd tried to wipe off their make-up but still had a layer of white residue on their faces. Scotty said he hadn't seen anyone like that, but I had seen a lot. At the next show, I saw "white people" again, and I started pointing them out to Scotty. "See that lady? She has white make-up on!" But Scotty would say, "No, she doesn't. I really think you're seeing things." As the days went on, I realized I was seeing powdery pale people everywhere, not just at the play. There were even times when I looked at Zoe and Eva, and they looked like they had white make-up on. 

It was weird!

Now that the musical is done, things will slow down to a more normal pace - at least, as much as they can during the holidays. Meanwhile, everyone is looking a little pale and should probably invest in a bit of bronzer. 

No comments: