Friday, July 30, 2021

All the Sandwiches


I've always thought of myself as "so/so" when it comes to sandwiches. There are some sandwiches I really enjoy, but I'd hardly consider myself a "sandwich enthusiast." But then the other day, Scotty and I went on a date, and we got sandwiches from Capriotti's, and I just really enjoyed my sandwich (we did a bit of a food hop and also got fries from Wingstop). I kept saying, "This sandwich is so good!" and I was kind of already daydreaming about the next time I have that sandwich. Then I started thinking about all the other sandwiches I love, and I realized... maybe I am a sandwich enthusiast. Cause, dang! There are quite a few sandwiches that I think about when we're not together. That, of course, made me want to write a blog tribute to My Sandwiches... which is what brings me here today. 

If I were a truly committed blogger, I would go out and get each of my beloved sandwiches and photograph myself with them. But that would be kind of ridiculous (it would be ridiculous, right? Please tell me it would... otherwise imma leave right now to get my first sandwich. Is someone going to stop me? Anyone???)

If I were to go on a Grand Sandwich Blogging Tour, these would be my stops.

First to Capriotti's to get the aforementioned sandwich: the Capatrami. It's a pastrami sandwich with swiss cheese, Russian dressing, and cole slaw. 

Let me tell you something... cole slaw is fantastic on sandwiches and burgers. I particularly enjoy it on a burger with Wingers sauce or on a pulled pork sandwich. I don't care for cole slaw plain, but on sandwiches it add such a nice, cool crunch! Nom nom. 

Sandwich with cole slaw (but, sadly, not the Capastrami)

Next, I'd go to Grove Market and get the seafood sandwich. This is a sandwich with imitation crab, cheese, lettuce, avocado, tomato, and mayo. Make it full sized, and I'll split it with Scotty because, THAT, my friends, is romance. The BLT from Grove's is also really good. 

I always cut up my portion and eat it like a salad because it's just too darn big to eat sandwich style. 

Another sandwich I cut up and eat like a salad is the teriyaki chicken sandwich from Red Robin. I order that sandwich 90% of the time when I go to Red Robin. The other 10% goes to the BLTA croissant, of which I eat half at the restaurant and then bring the other half home because it's a rare food item that tastes better the next day. 

Teriyaki chicken sandwich

After I leave Red Robin, I'll hit up Zupa's where I like to get the pesto chicken on ancient grain. I love the hint of basil and the crunch of the almonds. 

At Chick-Fil-A, I enjoy their classic chicken sandwich. I don't like the deluxe version, though, because I don't like it with cheese. If I'm in a "need a veggie" mood, I'll get the grilled chicken sandwich, which has lettuce and tomato (and no cheese). 

Grilled chicken sandwich (this was an excellent lettuce day)

If I need something freaky fast, I'll order a Pepe from the Jimmy John's app (ham and cheese). I'm currently a little sick of this sandwich, though, so we're "on break." But after some time, I know I'll appreciate it again. 

From Kneaders I enjoy a half turkey sandwich on hazelnut bread. In the past, I've always gotten this sandwich with a cup of broccoli cheese soup. Due to unfortunate circumstances which I will not disclose here... I must never eat that soup again. 

I have put it here in writing. So let it be. 

At Subway, I usually get ham and cheese toasted on Italian herb and cheese bread. I change up my fixings depending what I'm in the mood for, but usually I get lettuce, tomatoes, and banana peppers. Spinach, cucumbers, olives, green peppers, red onions, mayo, mustard, honey mustard, and vinegar and oil are all in my fixing rotation.

You may recall that I used to have a Moochie's problem. I must have overdone it because now I can't eat Moochie's. But I still appreciate a good philly cheese steak! My last two philly cheese steak sandwiches have come from Murphy's Cafe 126, and they have been excellent (although now that I've started reminiscing about Moochie's, I'm wondering if it's time to try it out again). 

At home, I love BLT's with tomatoes from the garden.

BLT

I enjoy an occasional tuna or egg salad sandwich. Peanut butter and jelly is always a delight, but I gotta go with white bread, crunchy PB, and berry jam. No grape jelly or apricot nonsense for this girl! And one of my favorite breakfasts is a ham, egg, and cheese bagel with a slightly runny egg. 

(Breakfast sandwiches? Yes please). 

Ham, egg, and cheese bagel

So I guess I'm not that "so/so" about sandwiches after all. I think the key to my sandwich tastes is going beyond sliced bread and deli meat. 

Care to tell me about your favorite sandwiches?

1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

Chicken salad!!!

What are your thoughts on chicken salad?!?

I like my chicken salad grilled between two slices of candy white bread. I also love the Hawaiian we sell at the shop and will enjoy most any sandwich if it is grilled... I'm a hot sandwich kind of girl!