Friday, March 6, 2020

A Strength


I love to learn. In fact, in the VIA Character Strength Survey, my top strength is love of learning. I enjoy exploring various topics and ideas. If something sparks my interest, I'll seek out more information about it. I especially like learning new words (though I rarely remember them. If I could choose a super power, it would be perfect recall. I've decided I want that more than I want to have my crap together. Wait... maybe not. I need more time to think about it).

Where was I? Oh yeah...today I learned the word ultracrepidarianism which is "the habit of giving opinions and advice on matters outside of one's knowledge or competence." I am both a regular receiver and offender of ultracrepidarianism.

And that leads me to the other side of the story... yes, I love learning. But I am not a very teachable person. I have a bit of a humility problem (humility is in my bottom five in the strengths survey). I have know-it-all tendencies, which is probably why the word ultracrepidarianism stood out so much to me.

But this post is about what I'm grateful for, not my weaknesses, so let's just set my humility problem on the back burner for a while and celebrate my ability to study, learn, and progress. I'm thankful for the things I have learned through my formal education as well as through exploring my personal interests. I'm also very thankful for what I have learned through life experience - those very individualized lessons that can't be taught second-hand. You know, the ones that sting a bit (and will eventually iron out that humility thing).

(Read more about strengths here).


No comments: