Friday, August 23, 2019

San Francisco: Part IV

What?!? We're still talking about San Francisco?

Why, yes, dear reader. We are!

Because there is a bridge to discuss!

(The Golden Gate Bridge, Mark. GOLDEN GATE) (I just have to throw that in there because Mark gets confused).


I'm sort of in love with the Golden Gate Bridge. Seeing the bridge was kind of like seeing Hugh Jackman. It's a celebrity. An engineering marvel! An honor to experience in person!

How I feel about the Golden Gate Bridge

Even though the SanFran wind-blown look 
isn't really my thing

After we left Muir Woods, we had a few hours left before we needed to be to the airport, so we spent that time getting to know the bridge. We found some FREE street parking with the bridge in sight.


We ended up following the road to Fort Point. I can't speak for Mark and Michelle, but Scotty and I didn't have any idea what this little brick building under the bridge was. It was a really fun place to stumble upon. 


Fort Point is a fortification that was used to protect the Pacific coast. 

It would make a fantastic haunted house. 

And I don't even like haunted houses!

I can't condone such a thing, as it is a historical landmark. But still... the haunted house potential is superb!


Anyway, it was a fun site to explore. I was really surprised at how many places we were allowed to wander. We could go on every floor of the fort and on the roof. We could even climb the spiral staircases and stand on the cement mounds where canons were once affixed. Most places of such historical significance aren't so accessible! Ya know, with preservation and safety and all that. 


I mean, we totally could have fallen to our deaths on these rail-less stairs! They nearly destroyed my bad knee, but they were so fun... and disorienting!

After we explored Fort Point for a while, we drove to the upper road so we could walk to the bridge and journey out on it. 

We parked in the lot (not free, but also not $40 like some of the other lots we had to park in while we were in San Francisco) (in fact, the parking was so reasonably priced that Mark splurged and got us 15 extra minutes just for fun!) We followed a trail that led to the bridge, and then we walked about 1/4 of the length of the bridge. I would have loved to walk the entire bridge, but it was just too crowded, and it doesn't have good traffic flow with bikes and people walking. If I'm ever in San Francisco again, I'm going to go to the bridge at 5:00 in the morning so I can have my moment. I'd love to run it out and back. 

Despite the masses of people, I was still happy to be there. I assume we were in moderate crowds. I bet they get far worse! San Francisco is a busy place. Very people-y. Not really my kind of place at all. 

But that bridge! 

Did I mention how much I love the
Golden Gate Bridge?

We wandered around the visitors center to learn all the bridge facts, and then we walked back to our vehicle. We then ventured to the airport to return home. 

Our trip was short and sweet, but I feel like we did a lot! We got to check out everything we wanted while we were there, and we didn't feel like we had to cut anything short. 

We all played our parts well. Mark was our driver and panoramic photo taker. Scotty was our navigator. Michelle is the Queen Packer. She always has all the important stuff like snacks and first aid kits. She also did lots of research so we could know how to spend our time, and she reserved our parking spot at Muir Woods. And me? Well, I guess I'm just the eye candy. High fives all around for our trip to San Francisco! 

Good job, team!


1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

So fun to read about your trip! What a blast!