Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Five Habits - The Good

The other day I confessed some of my bad habits. I figure I should provide balance by writing about some of my good habits, but it's incredibly hard to think of any. I only need five. Surely I have five good habits?!?

Let's give this a try...

Habit #1: I floss every day

I didn't used to, but at some point in the past decide, I made it a regular practice. I'm kind of proud of the fact that I floss. I've been known to ask my hygienists if they can tell that I floss. What can I say? I'm a girl who likes validation.


Habit #2: I'm reliable

I'm not sure if this is a habit or more of a trait, but I'm gonna go ahead and claim it as a good habit (the supposed difference between the two is that habits are learned and traits are innate - so am I naturally reliable, or was I taught to be reliable? I think it's a combination of both).

If I say I'm going to be somewhere, I will be there, and I will be on time. I fulfill my responsibilities, and I don't leave people hanging. If there is an emergency or unforeseen event, I will make sure to let people know and provide substitutes, if needed.

(Now I'm paranoid to post this because of the <1% of times that I've forgotten a commitment. Like that hair appointment I forgot to take Nicky to four years ago).

Habit #3: I'm a "thanker"

I try to always thank people for helping me out. Sometimes I'm lame, and I just send a text, but I also like to send cards, treat people to meals, give a small thank you gift, or return the favor. It's important to me to help others feel appreciated. Reciprocity is also something I value.

(Now my paranoia is even greater because I'm worried there's someone out there to whom I owe a big thank you, and that person is reading this post).

Habit #4: I get a healthy amount of sleep

I try to be consistent with my sleep. There are obvious exceptions - vacations, events, etc, but on the average day, I go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up early (typically 10:30-5:30 on "walking" days and 11:00-6:30 on "non-walking" days).

I used to have lots of trouble sleeping at night - a combo of anxiety and babies. It's gotten much better now that my kids are older. Plus I saw a therapist for a while that worked with me on improving my anxiety and sleep patterns.

I probably just jinxed myself.



Habit #5: I always eat breakfast

And most of the time, it's actually pretty healthy. I can handle "healthy" first thing in the morning. It's after 11:00 a.m. that I go off the deep end.

Some of my favorite healthy breakfasts are avocado toast, hard-boiled or scrambled eggs, and super food smoothies.


Phew! I made it to five. I can think of bad habits all day long, but it was really hard to come up with any good habits. I just don't hang on to good habits for very long. I do really well at something for a while, and then I drop the ball.


3 comments:

Sus said...

I wonder if I could come up with five good habits? It's harder than anyone might think! LOL

1 - I go the gym and exercise three times a week with my BFF. During the winter I go four times a week.

2 - I, too, am a floss fanatic! I love flossing and can't stand to have things stuck in my teeth!

3 - I make my bed every.single.day. Can't stand to get into an unmade bed. LOL

4 - I clean up after myself! Cleaning as I go, mostly. I don't leave tidying up for later.

5 - I tell my dear husband, children, siblings, mother, grandchildren, etc. "I LOVE YOU" whenever I say goodbye.

JJ said...

1. I follow a daily cleaning schedule
2. I read to my kids every day
3. I'm a stickler for turning off lights when I leave a room
4. I call my mom every two days if not more
5. I don't watch TV on weekdays

love.joy.lane said...

I don't believe in flooding 😈