Monday, August 5, 2019

Five Habits - The Bad

The other day I over-flossed and mutilated my gums. Since then, my mouth has been very tender, and I can't chew on that side. Wo is me! I do this a lot - flossing to the point of damage. Flossing is one of few good habits I've developed. Destroying my gums is one of my bad habits.

Let's talk about some of my bad habits, shall we? I'm going to stick with just five, otherwise this will turn into the Longest Blog Post of All Time. Plus, I like to remain a little mysterious. I can't tell you everything!

Habit #1: Talking about people

I'm a gossip.

There. I said it.

Now, there are different opinions on what constitutes gossip. I consider gossip to include the following:

  • Things people have said in confidence (i.e. things they don't want being repeated to others)
  • Things that are embellished, not true, or speculative
  • Things that shed negative light on a person
  • Things that are said with the intent to sway a person's opinion of someone else for the worse

I have a friend who believes gossip goes much deeper than that, and that almost any form of talking about another person is gossip. That's something I'm still contemplating... 

Suffice it to say, I try really hard to not gossip, but I slip up... a lot. If you've spent any time with me at all, you already know this. If you've never met me, now you know the truth. 

Steer clear! I am a bad influence.

Habit #2: Emotional spending

I spend money if I'm sad, lonely, bored, tired, happy, hungry, or basically if I feel anything at all. 

When Scotty goes out of town, I cope by re-decorating. A few weeks ago, when he was at scout camp (the first one - I want credit for multiples), I bought new bedding and new throw pillows, and I moved around a bunch of wall decor. 

I already know what I'm going to buy next time he's gone...

Habit #3: Emotional eating

Like spending, I'm also an emotional eater. This is something that's hard for me to tell people. I eat myself sick. I'm a binger (but not a purger, just so we're clear). I punish myself with food and I reward myself with food. 



I also eat out waaaay too much. 

This is something I'm working on. I've been working my way through the Intuitive Eating program and workbook for over a year. My progress is very slow. 

Habit #4: Being a know-it-all

You guys... I think I might be a know-it-all. 

And this is one of the traits I see in other people that I absolutely cannot stand! 

Know-it-all-ness manifests itself in:
  • Giving advice that is unasked for
  • Being unteachable
  • Not letting other people share information without butting in or taking over
  • Correcting people
Oh it hurts to admit! 

Habit #5: Flossing...

...with my hair! 


I know, I know. 

But let me tell you why I do it. 

I have a "food trap" where a former dentist did a really bad filling. Food gets stuck there, and it really hurts. I keep flossers in several places in my house and car, but I often end up in a bind without floss. Out of sheer desperation, I use my hair. 

My hair is damaged from it because sometimes it breaks off. 

And yes, it was my hair that mutilated my gums and inspired this very post. 

1 comment:

JJ said...

1. I always leave my shoes by the back door
2. I pick at my split ends
3. I sleep in my makeup allot
4. I leave earrings and hair ties all over the house
5. I'm always late. I don't know how your always on time for things. Even when I try extra hard I end up ten minutes late.