Friday, August 31, 2018

Labor Day Goals

We are nearing the end of the second week of school.

SCHOOL IS WONDERFUL!!!

There. I said it.

I need my kids to be away from me. I provide a much better home for them that way. The problem is, they make up for their time away by tripling the amount of melt downs and fights when they get back.

Do they know there's not a daily quota?

Do they???

I tend to spring into action when my kids go back to school which means August is traditionally a month to tackle projects before the excitement of having my kids return to school wears off. Last August was when I started re-doing my kitchen. I never finished, of course. I didn't finish painting. I still have two blue corners that I can't reach without a ladder, and... let's just say that no one can see behind the fridge, so I don't hold myself accountable for what goes on back there (still blue). I have two cabinet doors I've never put back on (we lost a hinge in the grass last year, and we just found it last month). We never put the baseboards on. We never put in a banister. We never put the flooring inside the pantry.

And now that it's been a year, there has been some wear and tear. We have water damage on the new floor. There are scuffs on the cabinets. The walls have all sorts of dents and dings.

We will never be ahead in the game.

BUT...

This week, I've gotten some stuff done. Scotty and I set some Labor Day goals. By the end of Monday, we are hoping to have all the trim put up in the living room and kitchen, have all of the blue covered, and have quarter rounds installed around the cabinets (we got 8' quarter rounds for $1 a piece on clearance at Lowe's the other day, so really, it was kind of worth putting it off for a year). We also want to finish Zoe and Eva's room, which includes painting baseboards, walls, and doors and painting and installing bunk beds.

This week, I've worked my tail off to move toward these goals. I put the second coat of paint on the kitchen walls. I filled all the holes in Zoe and Eva's room, retextured the walls, and painted them with two coats. Scotty and I bought all the baseboards for the living room and kitchen, and I've been painting them. And I painted the bunk bed (my girls all "helped" with the bunk bed, so it looks like utter crap, but whatever).

I also patched and textured some holes in Daisy's room and patched a big hole in the kitchen. I also washed my back door (Scotty asked if I painted it - that shows how dirty it was), and not to brag or anything, but I wiped all the dust off the light fixture over my table.


 I'll see how much more I can get done before I crash and burn (because I will).

No comments: