Thursday, August 23, 2018

Two Down, One to Go

School started Monday for Nicky and Daisy. After I dropped them off, I felt a little disoriented. I came home and everything was still chaotic. I remembered that having them gone doesn't make things easier - it just makes things different. 

Zoe and Eva carried on the tradition of fighting and destroying the house - thus I continue calling them the Tornado Twins. Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the joy they bring as they prance around in matching tutus, hoodies (or "wings"), and rain boots while "flying" off the end of my bed repeatedly. 


They make me happy, truly. But they also make me tired.

There's a heavy amount of costuming and high energy involved in parenting these lovelies, and not as much order and sleep as I'd like.


On Tuesday, when I still felt disoriented and unsettled, I realized it might be because I have to do three first days of school this year - Nicky and Daisy on Monday, Zoe on Thursday, and Eva the following week. I also haven't had a day to stay home yet. I don't think I'll feel stable until after Labor Day.

Today was our second first day of school - Zoe started kindergarten. When I asked her to pose for a picture, this is what I got:


And several more like it.

After I dropped her off at school, I had my first moment of "Wow! The kids are in school!" I drove home, and Eva had no one to fight with!

For tree whole hours!!!

But then I picked Zoe up from school, and the chaos rushed right back in. The kids always make up for being apart by fighting as much as they would have if they'd spent the day together.

Two of our three first days are now complete, and this mama looks forward to tackling a few "to do " list items soon. First up, a big trip to the donation center to get rid of a bunch of my kids' crap [insert evil mom laugh here] followed by painting Zoe and Eva's room, going shoe shopping for myself, and deep cleaning my bedroom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always takes me about a week to find my groove after school starts so I get it. Especially when the kids start on different days:

love.joy.lane said...

I love love that black and white shot of your tornadoes!