Saturday, December 16, 2023

Christmas Questions

I'm getting excited for Christmas. We are mostly ready... I think... I'm waiting for all of those last minute crises to hit. What did I forget? Think, think, think...

In the meantime, here is a questionnaire that will make me out to be a bit of a Grinch. Don't be fooled - I love Christmas - I just said "nope" a lot in this one!

What is your favorite Christmas song?

I don't really have a "favorite" Christmas song. I love most of the Christmas hymns. Secular music is hit and miss. This year some of my most repeated songs are "Merry Christmas" by Elton John and Ed Sheeran, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Lindsey Stirling, and "Fancy Like Christmas" by Walker Hayes. 

Do you attend church services for Christmas?

Yes. Our Christmas program is usually the Sunday before Christmas. This year it will be on Christmas Eve. 

Church last week

Does your family have any traditional Christmas foods?

My mom's extended family had some traditional Christmas foods, but they don't get together anymore. Most of our other families change it up from year to year. 

My step-mom usually makes a cheese ball, and we always fought over it as kids. 

Do you give gifts to your neighbors?

Yes

When do you put up your Christmas tree?

Usually a few days before Thanksgiving. I like to put it up while my kids are in school, if possible. 

Upstairs tree

What is your favorite Christmas movie?

Muppets Christmas Carol and Mickey's Christmas Carol, however, I don't actually want to watch them.

Do you send Christmas cards?

We used to send them every year, but we are getting more and more sporadic. When we look at our Christmas expenses, that's something we often have to cut these past few years. 

Do you keep Christmas cards?

No. I hang them up for the season, and then I take a photo before I throw them out. 

Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Either. I wrap my kids presents to prevent snooping but am happy to bag anything else for convenience.

What time do you get up on Christmas morning?

5:00-6:00

Do you travel for Christmas?

Nope

Do you ever give homemade gifts?

Yes

Do you participate in any name drawings for gift exchanges?

We draw names in our immediate family ($10 limit). I have Daisy this year.

Do you go caroling?

Nope. I think caroling is rude. First of all, how awkward is it to make people stand there and listen to you sing? But beyond that, they either need to come outside in the cold or stand in their doorway and let all the cold air in their house while you do your caroling thing. I just don't think that's very nice. Then they have to act like they enjoyed it, even if your song sucked (which it probably did, because - let's be honest - you were most likely with your youth group that didn't want to sing anyway, and no one wanted to stand in front, and they were all self-conscious and awkward about it except the one weird kid who basically performed an off-key solo). 

(Did I go too far with this one?)

Do you put Christmas lights on your house?

Sometimes. It's been a few years. I don't like the electricity bill. 

Do you enjoy Hallmark Christmas movies?

I've never watched one. Frankly, I’m not interested. 

(Wow! This questionnaire is making me out to be a total Scrooge!)

Do you have any favorite Christmas treats?

I love fudge, toffee, peanut brittle, chex mix, peppermint bark, and candied nuts.

I can live without gingerbread, fruitcake, divinity, and most cookies (but especially shortbread cookies).

Do you have a nativity set?

We have about 4 of them. 

Different arrangement everyday

Do you wear Christmas pajamas?

Nope. I don't wear pajamas at all. I sleep in my garments (i.e. religious underclothing). I can't wear anything else or I sweat to death. 

What do you want for Christmas?

A new scraper attachment for my Bosch.

What is the best Christmas gift you have ever received?

Nicky - born December 27

Do you ever give family photos as Christmas gifts?

Nope

Do you have a real tree or a fake tree?

Fake (x2). I would burn my house down with a real tree. 

Do you usually have a white Christmas where you live?

Sometimes. More often than not, no.

Do you do Elf on a Shelf?

Nope. I lucked out on this one because when Elf on a Shelf was new, I thought it looked fun. I almost did it, but I never got around to it. Thank heavens. I didn't know it was going to become what it is. 

(not my elf)

List five things you love about Christmas:

1. The decorations 

2. The food

3. The music

4. The anticipation

5. When it's over (I love it, but I also like moving on to other things)

Do you visit family on Christmas Day?

Yes

Do you read Christmas books?

Sometimes. My kids like The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, and we might read a picture book or two, but we don't have books that we read every year, and I don't really read Christmas novels or anything like that. 

When do you take your tree down?

Usually the day after Christmas.

Do you have any inflatables in your yard?

Nope

Do you build gingerbread houses?

Sometimes

Do you go to movies over Christmas break?

If there's something we want to see. We don't make a tradition of it. 

Do you bake anything for Christmas?

Rarely. We have so many sweets around Christmas that I don't want to add more to the mix. 

Does your family have a party?

We have four families. Some have parties, some don't. 

Do you do Secret Santa?

If I do, it's a secret, so I can't tell you anyway. 

Do you participate in any community Christmas events? 

Not really. 

Do you get photos of your kids with Santa?

If Santa comes to a party, I'll take a photo, but I've never gone somewhere for the purpose of getting a photo with Santa. My kids hate Santa and only talk to him to get whatever he's handing out. They're the same with Disney characters. So don't worry, Santa. It's not just you. 

Do you give any traditional gifts from year to year?

My kids get their own photo books every year. 

Do your kids get pajamas on Christmas Eve?

Yes, from Grandma.


Do you do an advent calendar or countdown?

Yes. We have a few. We have our elf and our Coke crate. 



My kids have chocolate calendars every year (brought to us by a mysterious Christmas elf). 

This year a friend gave us a countdown, and the primary teachers gave us a Names of Christ countdown. 

I also bought Zoe and Eva Doorables advent calendars, and they are the cutest things ever. 

A Disney Doorable everyday

They wake up every morning and go downstairs to open their Doorables, and then they usually play with them for a while before they go to school. I will miss these!

What do you miss most when Christmas is over?

Besides the Doorables? Sitting by the Christmas tree early in the morning or after dark and enjoying the ambiance of the lights. 

No comments: